Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 5000 miles on a new truck need to change the oil for the first time.
Is 5000 miles to soon to change the oil?
Should I change to synthetic now or wait until I have more miles on the truck?:)

Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
I'd change it for sure. Get rid of anything in there from the initial breakin. I would have changed it sooner if it were me. The first change should be soon IMO, then after that you can start going a little longer. I'd wait til at least 20k to switch to synthetic. But everybody is different.

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
I would've changed it twice by now. lol. Get that stuff out asap.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Amsoil shmamzoil! Shell Rotella 5w40 Synthetic and Lucas Synthetic oil stabilizer is the way to go. Save yourself some money and the pain of always trying to find the oil you need and get one that is readily available at every car part store and Wal-Mart. I've ran the Amsoil.... not impressed! I have 118,000 hard miles on my truck and 112,000 of them had Rotella in the motor. Doesn't use a drop of oil! Let the hate mail begin!

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I change oil and filter every 3000. Switched to full synthetic AMSOIL about a year ago thanks to Big Daddy Diesel. I am now starting to sample the oil to see what kind of mileage I can get out of the AMSOIL.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I changed mine at 1000, 2500 and 5000. They recommend you change the first at 1000 with a filter last I heard

·
Registered
576 Posts
Amsoil shmamzoil! Let the hate mail begin!
No hate mail coming but I don't think it's fair say it's a sham unless you have indisputable evidence that it is. I have been watching oil tests for 20 years and Amsoil rates very favorably by third party testing companies. With my bypass the cost of my oil will likely be less than yours.

·
Banned
17,251 Posts
No hate mail coming but I don't think it's fair say it's a sham unless you have indisputable evidence that it is. I have been watching oil tests for 20 years and Amsoil rates very favorably by third party testing companies. With my bypass the cost of my oil will likely be less than yours.
And im sure the test labs have never used Petro Canada because it's not made in the US and supperior to AmSOiL :rolleyes:

When I can get a 15-40w oil for $3.75/qt with a better base stock than the red&blue I'll stick to that. Read on PC's site and come back saying WTF am I using amsoil for... ;)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Banned
17,251 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well thanks for the responses I have lots of Esso XD 15-40 so thats whats going in it as soon as I get my Fumoto valve.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
I changed mine at 1000, 2500 and 5000. They recommend you change the first at 1000 with a filter last I heard
Not trying to start a war here but I don't see this in my owner's manual. Has anyone else seen this interval?

·
Registered
676 Posts
I use Rotella. and I drilled my oil pan plug to take a magnet, and I changed it a little earlier than you have. I would stay away from any oil additive, especially Lucas. I worked in the business for a long time and Delo 400 is great oil. I had one customer he did not have any money I use to get the oil pails from work and take the top off and drain them into a six gallon jug, every different brand, all 15/40. I used that oil for him free, he had his 6.9 Ford for 10 years using that oil with no problems I would rather see someone use Walmart oil and change it often than expensive stuff and go for long change intervals. I use AC Delco, Baldwin Or Fleetguard filters and Wix if needed. I add a litre of ATF 3 about 50 k before I am going to change my oil. Just a thought!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does the ATF help clean out the engine?

·
Registered
676 Posts
ATF is a very high detergent oil, I use it in my gas units in the fall and my diesels spring and fall. Just a thought!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Not trying to start a war here but I don't see this in my owner's manual. Has anyone else seen this interval?
The 2500 change was personal, the 1000 change was a recommendation from a duramax technician. I have not seen the 1000 change in my manual either but it's based on early wear removal.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
The 2500 change was personal, the 1000 change was a recommendation from a duramax technician. I have not seen the 1000 change in my manual either but it's based on early wear removal.
Thanks Mac.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts