Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering about smog inspections, that if I load the factory tune back in before getting checked (if I need to) how long will it take for a plate blocked EGR take to throw a code?

Also wondering this in case it needs to go in for a warranty item.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Handirifle, is the truck a California emissions truck, if it is more than likely sooner than later as opposed to the FE9 trucks.

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
^^X2. will likely throw the code pretty fast. If you have the AC you could take that with you and just clear the code right before you get there though.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I think, cant remember and don't have efi live in front of me, but isn't EGR 2 "faults" before the CEL? so you would possibly get 2 key cycles.

one thing to watch, and I have no idea if this is true in CA, but it is in PA- if you use a code scanner to clear your CEL, it also clears all the system monitors. I think there are usually 8 monitors and in PA 5 must be "ready" for in to pass. So if you cleared the CEL and pulled into the station you wouldn't pass cuz the monitors weren't ready- but again that's PA and I don't know what they do in cali.

FWIW- a friend of mine had a gasser with a bad rear O2 sensor. he didn't have the $$ to fix it, so I pulled his stock tune, shut off the O2 sensor code and flashed that tune in. once his monitors were ready he passed PA emissions without issue

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
ya im not aware of laws or how it is in cali. just going to experience here in Idaho.

Ive had to use my v2 to clear a code on my old saturn to get it to pass lol

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a CA truck. I know from carfax when I bought it. The PO lived in AZ (or NM, I forget) for a while but came back here to trade it in.

How long does it take for a monitor to reset itself?

I can monitor and clear codes with my cell phone and the Torque app. In the way the original question is a rhetorical one, because CURRENTLY they do not connect diesels to the OBD, it's a visual inspection. The check for factory setup (including intakes, boost tubes etc) and looking for excessive smoke at the tailpipe. The do a little "thing" with the throttle, like up to certain rpm, back off and hit it again, to check for smoke. So it's not complex for now.

I have a feeling that if they ever get to the OBD check, the EFI might not pass, since they probably have the monitors turned off, correct? What about in the "optimized stock" tunes? Would they be turned off there as well?

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I currently do not have an AC but hope to get one early this coming year. It's high on my list.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
some monitors will reset instantly, some will take miles. sometimes 50 miles or more. if they don't plug into the OBD, they would never know if the monitors are all ready or not

If they don't plug into the OBD port, then as long as you have no CEL, it should pass (in PA that is one major no-no, it cannot have a CEL) even if you shut the EGR code off with EFI live, the truck would still pass. those machines are not smart enough to know which codes the truck should and shouldn't be looking for.

based on how you described the test, sounds like an optimized stock tune *should* be ok.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Your warranty is gone my friend.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your warranty is gone my friend.
Left as is, I agree, but I have my stock tune, and if possible would reload it before taking it in for another issue.

It would be worth a try, in my opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts