Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at a '07 LBZ on Craigslist with 252k miles. Seller says he has maintenance records, Carfax reports and that the truck runs excellent. Truck looks like it's in very good shape. I want to buy it. Should I look for one with fewer miles though?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Been looking at a '07 LBZ on Craigslist with 252k miles. Seller says he has maintenance records, Carfax reports and that the truck runs excellent. Truck looks like it's in very good shape. I want to buy it. Should I look for one with fewer miles though?
The real question is what's the price? If it's like 17k and up, I personally wouldn't do it. I bought my 06 with 340k on it, but I paid 7500 for it. Body was in decent shape, ran good but needed tires and some other odds and ends. I have recently started upgrading stuff as it wears out and I couldn't be happier with my truck.

I've also seen a few LBZs for astronomical prices with 200k+ on them and can't believe people buy them. So do some searching in your area and however far you wanna drive, and if seems like a good deal, buy it. And next thing you know, you'll be wasting money on it like the rest of us

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
Many people have claimed over 500K miles on LB7s and even LLYs without any major issues. 250K is generally not a deal breaker. Of course, there are expected things like water pumps, front wheel bearings, injectors etc, in addition to the normal wear and tear items like brakes, front suspension, "U" joints and stuff like that. Transmissions don't last forever, nor do head gaskets or turbos. The good thing about LBZs is, there's no DEF, DPF or CP4 to worry about.

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
Looks like it has done some towing and hauling but it should be rust-free, coming from that area. Rust free is worth a lot to my way of thinking. Bring a GOOD code reader along, take it on a long drive and make an offer.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,297 Posts
I've got more miles than that on my LBZ.....and I'm not selling. :howdy

·
Registered
56 Posts
I wouldn't pay 17k for that truck with 252k, I've seen LBZs in my area (north ga) with ~100k go for 18k-20k. If that truck is as clean as it looks and checks out mechanically, I'd say 12-14k would be my happy point.

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,520 Posts
I have a 2006 LBZ that I bought two years ago with 245k, now has 293k. If it is a price you are willing to pay and be comfortable with, I don't see a reason to pass on it if it has the records and is in that good of shape. I gave 15k for mine, a ccsb LT3 rust free Mississippi truck. And honestly, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again

·
Registered
174 Posts
My 2007 3500 SRW CCLB classic has over 340k and still going with zero issues.

I did replace the factory U-joints myself about 2k miles ago......

·
Registered
230 Posts
Pretty nice truck.

Whats the deal with the gooseneck hitch? Is the driver's seat ripped to shreds?

I mean its not the deal of the century but if its a clean original truck with a lot of easy miles, its not THAT bad... 14-15K would be a good price in my opinion...

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,297 Posts
Whats the deal with the gooseneck hitch?
The ball is just flipped over when not in use.

I noticed that too on the Driver's seat....no pic probably means it's toast.

·
Registered
230 Posts
What I mean is, was the truck a hotshot rig (bad) or did the dudes wife pull her horse trailer once in a while (good) or was it a landscapers truck and towed around an excavator or bobcat every day (somewhere in the middle)

I've got the ol' B&W turnover ball in my truck too :) Its nice to have and as far as Im concerned its a "bonus" even if you dont plan to use it (you can get a 5th wheel hitch that mounts to it) BUT everyone sees it and immediately thinks heavy towing use. 20-25 years ago that was a big deal but at this point in time I dont know if heavy towing use is even a deal breaker anymore.... Especially on an aging truck that is going to need things done regardless...

Let us know if you buy the truck!

The ball is just flipped over when not in use.

I noticed that too on the Driver's seat....no pic probably means it's toast.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,297 Posts
You're not discussing finding a Honda Ridgeline with a GN hitch in the bed.

It's an HD....designed from the ground up as a tow rig. That's what it's built for.
Fearful that someone might of towed something with it....silly, IMO.

I'd be more concerned if they didn't tow with it, just random mall crawls it's whole life. :wink2:

·
Registered
230 Posts
You're right. I'm not discussing a honda ridgeline with a gooseneck hitch.

We are however discussing paying a premium for a used truck. If the vehicles usage history is of no concern, well then you sir are an unusual buyer.

You're not discussing finding a Honda Ridgeline with a GN hitch in the bed.

It's an HD....designed from the ground up as a tow rig. That's what it's built for.
Fearful that someone might of towed something with it....silly, IMO.

I'd be more concerned if they didn't tow with it, just random mall crawls it's whole life. :wink2:

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,297 Posts
What I mean is, was the truck a hotshot rig (bad) or did the dudes wife pull her horse trailer once in a while (good) or was it a landscapers truck and towed around an excavator or bobcat every day (somewhere in the middle)
You're right. I'm not discussing a honda ridgeline with a gooseneck hitch.

We are however discussing paying a premium for a used truck. If the vehicles usage history is of no concern, well then you sir are an unusual buyer.
:rofl
Seriously?
It's a short bed with cute wheels....in SoCal. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,464 Posts
"Cute Wheels"

ROFLMAO:rofl

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Its less about the number of miles and more about how the truck was used and maintained through out those miles. Odds are good if the truck was maintained well that it will be just fine, however the mileage should still be considered in the price of the truck. If the guys selling it at the price of a 10K mile truck, walk.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts