Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
local shop swears by this Stanadyne, been using it for last 5 years here in the northeast with no real fuel issue thus far..

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
I've never used any additive in any of mine.

I always by fuel from national brands, never the discount fuel locations.

Always use the acdelco/racor fuel filters.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I have been using XDP for about a year and really like it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
XDP every fill.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I absolutely recommend an additive, todays fuel is garbage no matter where it comes from. There is significantly less lubricity than older fuels. The ultra low sulfur diesel in my opinion is suspect enough that when i forgot to add the additive in fill-ups, about the next tank I notice how it doesnt run as smooth. For $3 extra each fill up, I know that my fuel pump and injectors are better off with then without. Cheap preventative measure. I use Schaeffers diesel treat and have used diesel kleen. Stanadyne im sure is good too, do your research.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,262 Posts
LPs don't add lubricity to the fuel.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
FPPF 8 oz bottle 9.00 dollars treats 240 gal. Started using 35 years ago on over road trucks. Been using every since. Little dap every fill up. Keeps things clean. Use in my tractor as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
LPs don't add lubricity to the fuel.
Agreed, liftpump or no lift pump. Clean fuel is an absolute necessity with any diesel, lift pump with extra filtration will help this. However lubricity is another MUST. The only way to add lubricity is through additives.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have an LMM and only add Stanadyne when the temp drops enough for me to worry about gelling. Since you have a LML with a CP4 pump I would run a lubrication additive with every tank. Too many people are seeing issues with failures of the CP4 pumps. When the pump fails the cost to rebuild the fuel system is quite expensive. Dean

·
Registered
443 Posts
Agreed, liftpump or no lift pump. Clean fuel is an absolute necessity with any diesel, lift pump with extra filtration will help this. However lubricity is another MUST. The only way to add lubricity is through additives.
Well you could find a fuel supplier pumping biodiesel blends B5 or B20 as it's amazing for its lubrication qualities. Not so common in colder climates though. Be cautious as biodiesel has known to clean up the fuel system and plug the fuel filter prematurely.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Isn't 5-20% BioDiesel in all fuel nationwide now?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Diesel Kleen gray every tank. Trying the Hotshot for a change next tank

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
I have used Optilube XDP in every tank since it was new.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I’ve been filling through transfer tank,10 into 2 micron fs.Takes forever for dash to move down a %.
Stan-lubrisity then opti ,now shafers.Gallon jugs is where it’s cheaper.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Since I saw the trial that showed how much lubricity is provided by biodiesel, I started watching the pumps. I almost always see the pumps labeled B5-B20 in the midwest. Makes sense since we're in the heart of soybean country. The first pumps I noticed without the bio sticker were in upstate NY. Then I saw some on I-40 in Arizona.

I started running PS additive every tank because I'm pretty sure it's paying for itself in fuel mileage improvement. Anything with cetane boost gives me a nice little mileage bump as well as improving cold starts. Then it's there for a little lubricity bump as well when I get some non-biodiesel somewhere occasionally. PS is one of the better products for lubricity improvement although I don't think you can go wrong with FPPF, Opti XDP or Stanadyne either.

Lift pumps were mentioned too. I run a lift pump. The added filtration can't be a bad thing. You can change the spin-on filter in a couple of minutes and it saves on your Racor filter. Plus I like that the water separator filter catches any water before it gets under the hood. And anytime you have to prime your fuel system, like when you change the Racor filter, the lift pump is worth its weight in gold. Just turn on the key and loosen the bleeder for a second. Done. Start her up.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts