Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 109 Posts

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
Trying this for the first time.
I use the Summer DT2000 year round. 'bout $0.30 per fill up (gallon purchase). :wink2:

I've never seen a pump sticker stating 5-20 bio. Usually it's "up to 5%", or B10-B20, or just B20.
When I'm in the areas of a known B20, I spend the extra effort to stop and fill.
Always dramatically quieter when pulling away. :howdy

Reactions: Dsmspickdad

Registered
I use Opti-lube myself. The thing that sucks is I have to have family in Florida send it up to me here in Canada.

Registered
I think I'm going to try some Opti-lube since so many of you guys seem to like it. I see most guys run the XDP, has anybody tried their Boost formula that has the maximum cetane? Just wondering if there's any fuel mileage/lubricity benefit over the XDP. Plus it treats a lot more fuel (which may mean it doesn't work as well).

Registered
The Opti Boost doesn't do much for a lubricity improvement but is the most cetane boost. I did not see any improvement in mpg myself.

I run the Opti Summer and Winter versions personally.

Premium Member
Just to clarify. I don鈥檛 run optilube XDP I run xtreem diesel performance fuel treatment.

Premium Member
Schaeffer's Soy all season in almost every tank.

Reactions: Dsmspickdad

Registered
Running the stanadyne here. Seems to do well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Registered
Opti Summer year-round at the highest rate recommended. Hope to spare the CP4.

Registered
Opti-Lube with BetterDiesel FBC at every fill. Bio-diesel is hit or miss. Most of the time you never know exactly what percentage bio is actually in the fuel. If it says B20 the fine print lets you know that it can be "up to 20% bio" which means it may be 5%.

Registered
Opti-Lube with BetterDiesel FBC at every fill. Bio-diesel is hit or miss. Most of the time you never know exactly what percentage bio is actually in the fuel. If it says B20 the fine print lets you know that it can be "up to 20% bio" which means it may be 5%.
Oh I hear ya on the biodiesel %. Most pumps advertise B5-B20 that I've seen. It'd be nice to know what you're getting in case you wanted to do some blending yourself.

The lubricity study said you only need about 2% biodiesel to get all the lube you need though so hopefully the bio that I buy will get it done. I got 244k out of the original CP4 and most of those miles were without any additives.

Back when I was looking into lubes, Opti sure looked good.

But I gotta ask, what's BetterDiesel FBC?

Registered
@blythkd1
BetterDiesel FBC is a fuel borne catalyst (FBC). It lowers the combustion temp of soot so that the DPF doesn't plug up as fast which helps to increase distances between regens. Basically passive regens happen at lower temps. It also works as an injection cleaner.
When I first started with diesels I found conflicting info on ULSD and bio-diesel. I did notice that I got lower MPGs running bio which is because bio has less BTUs/gal than ULSD. As I learn more I have not steered away from bio like I have in the beginning. However in my area it seems bio is more expensive, at least at the local truck stops I trust.
Also, which lubricity study are you referring to. I am always looking for something to read.

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
Search "Arlen Spicer Lubricity study'
10+ years old

Registered
@blythkd1
BetterDiesel FBC is a fuel borne catalyst (FBC). It lowers the combustion temp of soot so that the DPF doesn't plug up as fast which helps to increase distances between regens. Basically passive regens happen at lower temps. It also works as an injection cleaner.
When I first started with diesels I found conflicting info on ULSD and bio-diesel. I did notice that I got lower MPGs running bio which is because bio has less BTUs/gal than ULSD. As I learn more I have not steered away from bio like I have in the beginning. However in my area it seems bio is more expensive, at least at the local truck stops I trust.
Also, which lubricity study are you referring to. I am always looking for something to read.
Ahhh, sounds like the catalyst that Pittsburgh Power sells. I didn't recognize the acronym. I also hadn't put together the part about lower fuel mileage on bio. Maybe that's why I get a little mileage bump from additives since bio is about all I burn.

Registered
Cool video to watch. Which he would test others.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Most Known Unknown

Registered
Amsoil 'Diesel All In One' here. Works great! There are a lot more reasons to use a diesel fuel additive than just added lubrication. I've tried others including Stanadyne and Amsoil seems to work the best for me.

Registered
I used Stanadyne for awhile before switching over to Optilube. It's cheaper for me to buy Optilube in bulk. In the winter I use the white bottle Diesel Kleen with the Optilube Lubricity formula mixed. Then in the summer I use the Optilube Summer and Lubricity both. Works well for me as I also use this same setup for the tractors on the farm as well.

21 - 40 of 109 Posts