Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Opti-Lube XPD in the spring/summer/fall, every tank. During the winter i switch to their Winter Formula for the anti-gel capabilities, also every tank. Been running this combo for 3 years.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Been using Diesel Kleen in every tank since new.
Haven't used the white in 4 years,
since we now winter where it doesn't get below 35 degrees.

·
Registered
94 Posts
When I lived up north with below freezing temps for months on end in the winter I used additive every fill up in the winter. Now that I live back down south, I add something every couple tanks. I've been using Power Service with good results since my '05 LLY.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I run both stand and DK, and my experience it’s not bad. Also hanging around Alaska too when it’s quite literally 45 below right now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've never used any additive in any of mine.

I always by fuel from national brands, never the discount fuel locations.

Always use the acdelco/racor fuel filters.
I agree, no additives ever and no fuel system issues. But as for name brand fuel, gas and diesel both are “fungible” products. It all gets from the refinery to your truck via the same distribution system, pipelines, trucks, barges or train. There isn't any difference one brand to another, it all comes out of the same tank. Of course dirty tanks at the station can make a difference, and some companies put additive in the gas on final delivery, but not diesel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got some in Canada once it was 4 plus premium I could tell the difference in power in my truck and it helped my injector issue until I got back to the states and ran out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use opti lube XPD and mix in the winter treatment November to March. Has improved my fuel mileage

·
Registered
645 Posts
I agree, no additives ever and no fuel system issues. But as for name brand fuel, gas and diesel both are “fungible” products. It all gets from the refinery to your truck via the same distribution system, pipelines, trucks, barges or train. There isn't any difference one brand to another, it all comes out of the same tank. Of course dirty tanks at the station can make a difference, and some companies put additive in the gas on final delivery, but not diesel.
Yes, but at the terminal, they throw in ad packs, depending on which brand. For example, Shell may have ad packs that include certain lubricity and anti-gel that are a certain percentage where as what goes to Flying-J or Sinclair will have different types of additives added at the terminal.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Anyone ever try Archoil?

I have been using Archoil in my 2006 diesel Jetta for almost 6 months. I use this car for a regular commute that I have been doing now and am very confident of changes in performance or mileage. I have not detected any mileage gain or performance increase. I had high hopes for it based on some of the discussions but it has not made any difference for me.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
My understanding is that branded additive packages for both gas and diesel are added at the time the truck is filled at the terminal.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
The problem I see with the chain of distribution and adding stuff along the way, sitting in the tanks until you pump your measly amount out to fill up is...does the consistency of the mix stay the same with every gallon dispensed, which also has it's own large filter at the pump it goes thru before out the nozzle?

That's why I use the additive on every fill-up...so I know the needed additive is there in my on board tank.

Reactions: jwcgmc1985

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm new to the newer diesels with all the anti-pollution stuff on them. Thinking about a 1500 with the straight 6 diesel. I am old school from a local Highway Dept. up north. Every winter I switched the diesel fuel order to 1/3 kerosene- 2/3 diesel. It brought the cetane up a bit and we never had a gel issue. Can the newer diesels run this? Now don't shoot this old timer. All this add in stuff is confusing to say the least. Bio fuel? That's another. I have read some that is supposed to be good. But is it really? Shit, all the abbreviations is driving me crazy also.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
IIRC (<-there's another letter abrev), kerosene added becomes #1 Diesel for winter use.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm new to the newer diesels with all the anti-pollution stuff on them. Thinking about a 1500 with the straight 6 diesel. I am old school from a local Highway Dept. up north. Every winter I switched the diesel fuel order to 1/3 kerosene- 2/3 diesel. It brought the cetane up a bit and we never had a gel issue. Can the newer diesels run this? Now don't shoot this old timer. All this add in stuff is confusing to say the least. Bio fuel? That's another. I have read some that is supposed to be good. But is it really? Shit, all the abbreviations is driving me crazy also.
Don't feel bad, there's so much new information coming out anymore it's impossible to keep up with.

Plain old straight diesel anymore is so dry (not very oily) that it doesn't provide much lubrication (lubricity) for the fuel system components. There was a very good study several years ago that showed about the best thing you could do to add lubricity back to your fuel was to add biodiesel which is predominantly a soy based blend. When you see pumps labeled B5-B20 it means the fuel is 5-20% bio fuel blended with regular fuel. A 2% bio fuel blend is about all you need to provide very good lubricity for your fuel system. More won't hurt but doesn't provide much more benefit to your fuel system.

Some say that bio fuel doesn't have as much energy in it and thereby doesn't give you as much power. I'm not discounting that fact but personally don't notice much difference in my truck. But then again, bio fuel is about all I find anymore. I may get a tank of fuel somewhere someday that just blows my socks off. But here in the Midwest soybean country, all I see is bio diesel.

Bio fuel works well in a vehicle that goes through fuel on a regular basis. I go through nearly 100 gallons a day at times in my pickup and I have a pretty happy fuel system. The worst use for bio based fuel is in a vehicle or piece of equipment that sits most of the time and doesn't go through much fuel. The bio fuel will sit in the tank and start growing a little garden in your tank and fuel system. Don't ask me how microbes grow in diesel fuel, but they do. I just had to clean up bio/microbial gunk in an old grain truck that only gets used once a year. I unscrewed the fuel filter and the top of it had what looked like black pudding on it. That stuff can be very tough to get under control. I think I had good results this year with Power Service Bio Kleen. Time will tell. I use Cenex Ruby Fieldmaster in my farm equipment and it has an additive package that so far has warded off any fuel system problems in my tractors and combine but they frown on using it in a tagged road vehicle. So the grain truck may continue to be a struggle.

I apologize if that was more than you were looking for. But there it is. Good luck on your new pickup purchase!

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Many States have requirements for Dsl sold within its Jurisdiction, I call the local refinery and ask for the Chemist Dept, and get the input on how additives can effect the blend that the refinery is require to produce. MN has 5-20Bio winter/summer requirements and is blended to -30 below NOV-1 to Mar-1. Its also NOT needed to add Additives to BioDsl Sold in MN. Info by picking up the Phone and calling Your local refinery will produce Truthful info, Most refineries do in-depth testing and will share the results. The fuel at most refineries are tested daily 2+ times Hourly.

Also in MN Fuels stops are required by Law to have Drop sheets available upon request, it will state Clear #2 - 5-20, -30 NOV/MAR if Not I move on, Additives do nothing for contaminated Dsl.IMO Your better off spending the $$$ on Auxiliary or Transfer Filtration.

In MN Here are the stations that practice good Tank Hygiene 1 Speedy, close 2 Kwik-Trip, other stops I did not inquire, The source I gain the info form is MN largest Tank service Company, and MN Weights and Measures.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for your replies. You can never have too much info. Especially when you're trying to get back in the game. LOL

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have always used Stanadyne (either Summer or winter blend) Power Service White or diesel Kleen. I use 3 oz per 10 gal at each fuel up. This L5P I'm currently driving seems to do well with either. My son uses Howes in his LMM.

41 - 60 of 109 Posts