Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the stock head studs are good to about 45 pounds of boost but im more worried about the limitations of the lower end ive searched for alot of this already on here and havnt found it if it has been posted before i aplogize for not seaching well enough. But im intrested in knowing the limitations of the stock internals such as crank,rods,pistons,point of sleeve ovalization so the torque, horsepower, and boost capabilites. Sorry for the bad spelling in advance. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
this is a million dollar question with two million different variables to take into account when putting an actual number on "what hp will it fail"

You could ask this question 100 different times and I guarantee you will get 100 different answers/arguments.

My own opinion for the "continous limit for long term reliability" is ~575rwhp for the LB7/LLY, ~675rwhp for the LBZ/LMM.

Will you be picking up pieces if you dyno it and hit 576rwhp? NO not at all. Plenty of them are making 750rwhp and living just fine, but they likely arent going to be living for long. Then you have EGT's to worry about. If you are running 450rwhp and constantly sled pulling or drag racing while you bury the pyrometer, you'll probably crack a piston even though you are way below the "575/675" figures I listed above.

tuning plays a huge part in engine reliability as well. If you tune very carefully for 750rwhp you can detorque the engine enough to prevent the rods from bending. Im not going to go into what is involved in that sort of tuning though because that opens up a whole new can of worms.

Basically. There is NO CORRECT ANSWER to this question. It really boils down to how lucky you feel.

ben

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you very much that was the kind of answer i was looking for im not new to the engine building world at all and i understand what your talking about def depends on how safe the tune is and what kind of application your going to use the truck for thank you very much for the info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts