Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on doing the switch to amsoil and want to know how much of each fluid i need to get to do both diffs trans and t-case.

Thanks

·
Administrator
8,818 Posts
rear diff on mine took about a gallon, the front took 2 qts. The transfer case will take 2 qts too or if you put 5w30 in like some of us have, it took 3 qts filling it through the speed sensor hole.

Trans is about 7 qts for a drain and refill...I just bought the 2.5 gallon jug.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great thank you!

·
Registered
510 Posts
If he is switching to a different oil shouldnt he change ALL the tranny fluid??? like a flush???

IIRC it holds nearly 5 gallons

·
Registered
510 Posts
Dont own a bank, just a flush machine:D

·
Registered
510 Posts
And a flush isnt that expensive around here anyway, I run cheap fluid but still wouldnt mix a bunch of different shit together

·
Registered
263 Posts
they told me you cant flush a allsion, so i ended up doing the hoot method

·
Administrator
8,818 Posts
A flush isn't recommended on the allison. It is perfectly ok to have half normal & half synthetic. I have done a drain & refill twice. By this time it is almost all synthetic.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I dont understand why you cant flush them or why it isnt reccomended.. I do it quite often, works great!!!

I can see why someone may not want to do it using synthetic because its so damn expensive!!!

I was also told by several people (including suncoast) not to use synthetic with my kit.

·
Administrator
8,818 Posts
Maybe MikeL will elaborate why you would not want to flush it.

My dealer told me they couldn't flush my allison. The first time they just dropped the pan, changed the filters, and refilled. I have since drained and refilled it one more time.

It may depend on the machine that is used when the flush is accomplished too. I know I have read it is not recommended to flush the allison though.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I just unhook the cooler lines and flush!! Hope im not doing something I shouldnt!!

·
Vendor
10,959 Posts
To the OP, OB1 is correct. If you are need of AMSOIL fluids and would like to save 25-35% off retail, please contact me for more information.

A manual flush like scott indicated is fine and a lot of folks go that route. Allison does not recommend power flushing the tranny though.

Take care,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts