Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a steel bumper for my truck for sale a few hours from me. Only problem is it's not my first choice of a bumper. No fog light's, No winch mount, No pe-runner.
Here's some picture's of the bumper. I see it mount's how the tow hooks mount. How strong would that really be?
I want it to have four fog light holes and a mount for a winch. I dont really care if i lose the reciever hitch as it has tow point's on the front already.
Anyone ever seen a bumper like this before?

I'm thinking there isnt quite enough depth for a good size winch.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I wouldn't cut in to the bumper to mount a winch for potential of losing some of the rigidity of the bumper.. looks like there's a fairly stout brace going across there. Since it already has a receiver, why don't you get a receiver mounted winch and just throw it on there when you need it? that way it would be out of the weather as well and you could still have a strong bumper.. just a thought.

And as far as the mounts go, you have to figure that the factory tow hooks are connected to the front of the frame. Plenty strong enough of a mounting locating that will take quite a bashing.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Sounds like this isnt the bumper for you then! :thumb

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tyler, How does your bumper mount to your truck? Is it similer to the mounting of this bumper?

The price on this bumper is hard to pass up. I've wanted a bumper for a while that isnt huge and bulky, so some modififaction's arent a problem to me.

I had thought about putting a winch on a reciever before but a winch isnt to light to be throwing around when needed, I'd perfer to have it mounted and be done with it.

As far as losing some of the structural intergraty and rigidty of the bumper, I dont think that should be much of an issue. I could put in more gusset's and brace's and make it stronger than it currently is fairly easily.

I have a buddy that made his own bumper for his 6.4 PSD and after lookin at that bumper closely, it looks stronger than some of the aftermarket bumper's on the market, and all it took was some gusset's, some bracing, and some thick steel.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Yes, mine are mounted in the same fashion, and my setup will stop a train in its tracks haha.

I understand your point on the winch being cumbersome, just didn't know how often you really would use it, and was suggesting an easier option for that route. Those clevis hooks mounted on the front are directly in front of the frame mount, so they will be able to pull out anything you can get traction for.

for lights have you thought about simply buying two led light bars and throwing them in the rectangular openings already there? Would be a TON of light output for the space, and more than enough. Or, you could buy some rectangular lights that fit the space, fab up your own brackets and retrofit some hid's to them. Might be a whole lot easier in the long run without the additional asspain of cutting up that thick steel. Just my 0.02

I found my bumper in like fashion, it was used and not exactly what i wanted, but i just bucked up and purchased it and haven't looked back since.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
What kind of price range are you wanting to stay in ? To have such a nice truck, I would not put a bumper on that didn't meet all my wants and needs. You would regret it later. I am a big fan of the Buckstop bumpers. It gives you a great winch mount, up to 4 light holes and you can add a light bar too, and your factory tow hooks mount to the bumper. Very easy to install (no drill instalation). I have had several winch bumpers through the years, and this is by far the best one I have had yet. Check out their website: Buckstop Heavy Duty Winch Bumpers for Dodge, Ford, Chevy, GM, Nissan, Toyota Trucks, Vans and it will give you more information about them. Here are a couple of photos showing the bumper and how it sticks out from the front.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Georgia Duramax, I do like them Buckstop Bumper's. I'd buy one if it was the same price as this one in a heart beat. My budget isnt very big at the moment.
The BuckStop Doesnt look like it's any if much deeper than this current bumper.

I have access to all tools needed to modify as well as a ton of scrap metal ranging in alot of sizes.

I am kinda wanting to copy the BuckStop (Or any other bumper) for the way the light's are, Which i cant see being too hard of a job i'd think.

The winch isn't a huge deal breaker for me, But i would like to fill in them rectangular holes and deete the reciever hitch all together for a smoother cleaner look.

·
Registered
73 Posts
ill buy it if you dont! haha :poke[1]:

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I would buy it if the price is right. Welder and grinder and a torch will be your friend though. Nice looking bumper as is and with some fogs in it should look pretty slick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts