Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 01 Duramax/Allison 2500HD Chevy, and I am ready to change my oil. Can anyone tell me how much oil I will need. The owners manual I have only lists the values for the gas motors.

Thanks,
engineersDURAMAX

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
I think mine takes 12 quarts. I use 2 and a half gallons when I change the oil.....I have to buy 3 gallons when I do it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BOWTIE2 I know that everyone is always at the ready to catch an engineer in a mistake, but if you'll look a little harder at the post it's ob_1jr that said it took 12(3 gallons) quarts, then said he bought 3(12 quarts) gallons and had 2 quarts left. I was just man enough not to correct him :poke

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
I thought there were 5 quarts in the containers that I bought....guess I am thinking of the other containers that I see that are quoted to be 5 quarts. Yes, I made a mistake....it even says 10 quarts in the Duramax book. I just go by 2.5 gallons:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I guess I just got in a hurry engineer. Sorry about that. I don't see what's so manly about not correcting someone though. Even if it's mistakenly directed. It's kinda like the old addage "the only stupid question is the one not asked".

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
BOWTIE2 said:
I guess I just got in a hurry engineer. Sorry about that. I don't see what's so manly about not correcting someone though. Even if it's mistakenly directed. It's kinda like the old addage "the only stupid question is the one not asked".
Dude, it was engineer that asked the question. Besides, no reason to try and flame someone....who knows, I could have fat fingered the keys on the keyboard and that's how the 12 got in there. Anyway, no hard feelings...it just didn't make sense that you went after engineer. Everyone is human and makes mistakes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts