Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, water pump is beginning to leak, but already got one ordered and I have a GM diesel tech who can swap it out for me on the side. But my question is how long should it take him to do and what is a good price to pay? Going to get this done this week once pump come in. Thanks for your guys input.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
If he is a gm tech, with some experience, prob 3 to 4 hrs from all accounts I have read on this forum. Keep in mind I have never done this myself though.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Took me 6 hours to do myself, and I'm just a dumb old high schooler. lol So it should only take him 3-4 hours.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
If he has changed them before, he can do it in about 3 hours. Labor-- will probably be $100--- $200. Best to get a price quote before he starts.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I did mine in a little over two hours but I ordered the right tool for holding the flywheel and what not. It really isn't too bad aside from breaking loose and tightening the dampener. Even that isn't bad with the right tools. If you properly plan it, and just go non-stop, under 3 hours is very doable.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, got the pump replaced today and the damage wasn't too bad. $800 less than the dealer wanted to charge! Guy does nice work and does do a lot of side work so I feel kinda lucky my buddy referred me to him. Truck runs just like it did before, just no more coolant leaking. What's next I can only wonder?

·
Registered
619 Posts
I replaced mine in Aug. Cost was a little over $450.I bought the pump & housing myself & a serpintine belt.Had a big Rig garage do it.Watched them change it.Sure is nice to have the right tools to do it.The shop had a air wrench for the big motors & used a 2 "shaft air wrench to pull the balancer bolt.It went whizz & it was off.When your used to working with the big motors I guess the LB7 was a toy to them.LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts