Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanting to get some opinions on fuel filter change intervals. I'm completely stock for now, plan on adding a lift pump as soon as I have the time. I change my fuel filter every oil change and I change my oil about every 6,000 to 7,000 miles. I use the acdelco fuel filters. Am I changing it too often? I want to be sure my CP4 is getting clean diesel and I figured too often is better than not often enough. Just seeing what you guys do.

·
Reign in Blood
4,553 Posts
Most go 10k...some say sooner changes are a waste of money...I say do what you are comfortable with :thumb

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
With the pre-2010 delco I changed every other oil change.

With the later versions greater holding capacity, the next oil change after the fuel filter monitor gets to 25%.

How clean is your fuel?
What % life are you seeing at 6000 miles?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I change mine every six months regardless of miles, but it usually ends up being around 6000/10000 miles. You can get them from Amazon for $30, matter of fact I bought my fuel, air and oil filter from Amazon for $60.

On a side note I also run stanadyne lubricity formula as well to help out that beloved cp4

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'm at 5,000 miles on my oil right now and my fuel filter is showing 90%. I don't mind spending the money to change it more frequent than most, but if it is just a complete waste or in anyway a negative thing, I'll change to every other oil change.

I also run the stanadyne lub formula. I try to take as much caution as I can when it comes to my fuel. I usually fuel up at newer, very busy stations. My injector balance rates are pretty good. Had my #8 read 1.2 one time. After running some stanadyne injector cleaner it went down to 0.5 and usually stays there. Typically I don't have any injectors reading more than 0.5 or less than -0.5.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Hmmm, I've been changing mine at 6,000 miles... Then again, I don't buy from places that are refilling their tanks nearly daily. I live in a small town that has no semi traffic.

·
Registered
770 Posts
With the pre-2010 delco I changed every other oil change.

With the later versions greater holding capacity, the next oil change after the fuel filter monitor gets to 25%.
This is what I do too. Stealership wanted to change my fuel filter at 20,000 miles. Monitor still showed 60%. Truck manual states it doesn't need to be changed until it hits 0%.

I don't think the stealership likes doing n/c "warranty" oil changes without an up-charge service.

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
Hmmm, I've been changing mine at 6,000 miles... Then again, I don't buy from places that are refilling their tanks nearly daily. I live in a small town that has no semi traffic.
If the filter isn't getting dirty, there is no advantage to changing it.

A filter with some material in it will filter out finer particles out than a new filter.

An old filter doesn't let stuff thru, it blocks the flow.

In the pre 2010 days, advice to new duramax owners was to carry a spare fuel filter and know how to change it on the side of the road (which was doable on early dmax's). Loss of power under WOT was usually the first indication the filter needed changing.

Use the money you save to buy some other goodies for the truck.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm maybe I will switch to every other oil change instead of every oil change. That way I can get a few more miles out of it

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
Every 10K miles for me.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I have an LMM but I follow the DIC and it ends up being ~20K-25K miles.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well considering its a 10-12 micron filter, I am switching to a CAT XDP filter kit, that will be whenever I get time. 14k miles on my truck currently and I believe it to be the original filter.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I drive about 2-3k miles a month, depending on my work. I think I will just stick to every oil change until I can get a lift pump put on. Then maybe I will stretch it to every other oil change. How often do y'all change the filters on your lift pump?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Changed mine on Friday. Had 10,000km on it since last April and showed 41% on the DIC.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.