Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is done to an '07 LBZ. The GM kit shows to be for only the NBS trucks, however as you can see, it also fits this OBS too.

Tools needed:
1/4" drive - 9/32" deep socket, mini socket wrench, thumb wheel socket wrench
A step drill bit
A good sturdy utility knife, with a new sharp blade installed
1/4" socket for the cover screw

Parts needed:
GM cover part # 22759208
Wix filter # 24805
acDelco Cabin filter #CF104 (Best)
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=91688&cc=1380305&jsn=474

Start with removing the 3 screws holding the lower cover in place. The far right and middle screws are a breeze. The far left one over the hump, it's a chore. However, I found the right combo to be; start with the mini socket wrench on a deep 9/32", then move to a thumb wheel socket wrench for the final few turns and remove.

I see no need for this ^^ last screw to be replaced, as the other 2 will hold fine. It's up to you whether to re-install, I left mine out.

With the lower cover removed, here you can see where the filters will go, with the slot and screw boss for the cover pointed out.

I tried various ways to cut out the opening for the filters, mini cut-off wheel on a dremel and such, all too complicated as the plastic debris just rolled up and was in your way.

The simplest was to use a step bit for the starter holes, then follow with the utility knife to make your cuts flush along the edges. You only need just over a 6" long slot to install the filters, but more is fine too.

Here we have the opening cut (shot looking up from mirror). I clean my evap coil on a regular basis, just a few months ago in fact. Even so, here you can see a buildup already started.

I used a paint roller pan on the floor to catch the water & debris, and used a garden hose with a small cutoff on the end, just barely opened for a small stream of water, to clean the coil surface up. Most all of the water injected will drain out the firewall port. The pan used is just for the extra overspray or drips you may have.

Once the coil is all clean, insert the 1st of 2 filters into the slot, and slide it towards the firewall.

Here we have the coil all shiny and clean now, with 1 of the 2 filters inserted and slid forward.

Insert the 2nd filter. I know, looking at the space, it doesn't look wide enough for the 2nd filter to go in. However, push the 1st filter forward and compress the seal around it and the 2nd filter will slide in, snug.

Insert the tab on the cover's end into the slot,

lift up and compress the seal, inserting the provided 1/4" screw to hold in place.

Re-install the lower trim cover and we're done. :neener

Crank up the AC and go for a drive...then bask in your glowing satisfaction of a job well done with cool, clean air blowing once again. humpin:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Good write up...fortunately that is one of the things my '02 has on the newer trucks...came with the filters!!! :thumb

·
Registered
220 Posts
subd.... good write up

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good write up...fortunately that is one of the things my '02 has on the newer trucks...came with the filters!!! :thumb
They had the best seats too, lots of room for Wide-Glide rears. :farmer

·
Registered
625 Posts
Little confused on how you cleaned your coil. Did you just basically lightly take a garden hose to it and let it go in a pan underneath? And looks like the part numbers are for the same filters just different manufactures?

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
One part number is the GM filter kit (cover&screw). The other is for the Wix filter elements, which you can find listed under an '02 model at any parts store. GM has their own labeled filters too, but I don't have the info/price on those.

With the new opening on the bottom side of the coil, the majority of the water sprayed is going thru the fins and dropping down into the encased drain area below and out the firewall. I just placed the paint tray down to catch any over-spray and water dripping. It fit perfect on the slant of the front floorboard.

Just a small single stream to rinse it down, then I increased the spray a bit for a final rinse. Nothing rough, just a light spray.

I had just cleaned mine a few months earlier with the Einszett coil cleaner, so this was sufficient to clean it back up. If you've never cleaned yours and it's been in service for years, it won't be shiny like mine, don't be surprised to see a solid fur-like mat completely covering the fins. You may need a coil cleaner to help loosen it up so it can flush out.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Okay thanks. That definetly helped. Good write up and on the list!

·
Registered
204 Posts
u spray it from inside under the dash?

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep.

·
Registered
16,263 Posts
:thumb

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Just an add-on;

If you choose to use the GM cabin filter for this kit, you'll need to cut your slot opening larger, as you can see in the pic, it's a large 1-peice filter instead of the two pack used in the '01-'02 trucks.

I know each of the filters in the 2-pack are tight (see pic in post#1) against the floor when inserting, You may find the 1-peice filter hard to install with the OBS trucks, in clearing the floorboard to insert.
:thumb

·
Registered
625 Posts
Finally got around to doing this mod. Well worth the time and effort. I'm a big dude and this sucks lol. Cutting the hole was the biggest pain. Other than that was easy. I replaced them on my old 02 so I had a general idea of what needed to happen. Did this on a 14 and worked great. Thanks hookemhorns for the info. Of all the stupid ways to save money gm. Stupid lol.

·
Registered
90 Posts
One part number is the GM filter kit (cover&screw). The other is for the Wix filter elements, which you can find listed under an '02 model at any parts store. GM has their own labeled filters too, but I don't have the info/price on those.

With the new opening on the bottom side of the coil, the majority of the water sprayed is going thru the fins and dropping down into the encased drain area below and out the firewall. I just placed the paint tray down to catch any over-spray and water dripping. It fit perfect on the slant of the front floorboard.

Just a small single stream to rinse it down, then I increased the spray a bit for a final rinse. Nothing rough, just a light spray.

I had just cleaned mine a few months earlier with the Einszett coil cleaner, so this was sufficient to clean it back up. If you've never cleaned yours and it's been in service for years, it won't be shiny like mine, don't be surprised to see a solid fur-like mat completely covering the fins. You may need a coil cleaner to help loosen it up so it can flush out.
So , i need the GM kit #22759208 ( this is the cover and screw only? ) and the i need the wix filter #24805
If this is right i will get these and get this done , thanks for the write up and pictures.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
...I'm a big dude and this sucks lol. Cutting the hole was the biggest pain.
I feel your pain. I did get some relief by using a moving pad blanket folded up and layed across that seat track end, stabbing you in the back like a daggar.
I almost pulled the front seat out completely, but decided to try and make it work with it in (takin' one for the smaller guys) for the How To. So if I can fit in there, anyone can pull it off. :grinn

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Yep it saved GM money alright and more than likely twofold, one for the inexpensive parts and the other from owners bringing their trucks in under warranty because the AC was not working properly and being told you have a filter that needs to be changed, owners manual, read it, naw, I know how it works.....:D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sub'd will add this to my todo list!! Thanks for the write up!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Got her done , i just heated a knife end, worked great at making the hole:drink

·
Registered
30 Posts
on the original post, there is a gm and wix part #, are both of these needed?? Thanks!!!

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ok, thanks, i misunderstood the post and didn't realize it was a filter "KIT" until i reread it.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts