Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

461 - 480 of 521 Posts

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
I put it all back together, didn't run it very long tho...I think I got it. I need to get a alinement before I drive it so hopefully my alinement guy has time soon.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Tommarow my wife is taking my truck in for a alinement. It's supposed to get to -15° again tonight so I thought I'd top it off with some #1 fuel...cause if it gelled on her I'd be in big trouble...lol I got it up to temp and parked in over some fresh white snow and let it idle there for 10 minutes...when I got back to it the snow was all WHITE, no drips!! I am happy to be done with this. I don't know why I had such a struggle...must be something goofy with the bungs on my truck...lol

Thanks you Alligator and Timmay for doing whatever it took to get the job done! That's why I was confident when I bought these...Alligator has great customer service! Thank you to everyone else that helped!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Well, pulled the dually out last weekend and noticed its first small puddle as I let it idle in the driveway (appears to be leaking at the crimp on the cooler end)....

Add me to the list for these lines, and to the list of things I need to do to it, lol. Better get started on them or I'll not get caught up..

The cooler lines on my 94 S-10 leak too, but it's got 235k on it, the LBZ has only 116k....

·
Registered
7,689 Posts
Mine leaked at 80k. Kept an eye on em and kept it topped off. Didn't replace until 105k

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Transmission lines and power steering lines about the same life span. Pull the driver's fender liner and with a flashlight look at the power steering lines, they're next if not already leaking.

Mine is seeping and does not make it to the ground and follows the line and collects around the back of the pump or on top of the gear depending on which hose. Right now 63,000 on the clock so sooner rather than later...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Did appling sealer to the threads finally stop your leak? I bought the same line kit for an 01 and i'm having the exact same issue with a slight leak (atf) at the radiator fittings.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Did appling sealer to the threads finally stop your leak? I bought the same line kit for an 01 and i'm having the exact same issue with a slight leak (atf) at the radiator fittings.
If your asking me I never did put sealer on the threads. I just cringed as I tightened them a little tighter. As of now it just seeps ever so slightly....but I haven't hooked a heavy load to it lately. I'd think once it work it hard and get everything hot it might leak a little....we'll see.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have a question.

How is the shortest line from the cooler to radiator routed? There is a round crossmember that the front plastic skidplate mounts to. It seems better to run it overtop, but seems too long that way and doesn't fit well around the radiator.

If I run it underneath, I can get it to fit better, but seems too tight and rubs against that crossmember pretty hard. I'm going to install some header wrap where it hits things, but just not sure how this line is best routed.

I'd taken some pictures, but photobucket is not cooperating, I'll post them whenever it does.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Here are the pictures.

This is looking up underneath. It seems better to run it overtop this frame member, and with it run underneath like this, seems too short. This is the front member underneath the radiator that the front of the plastic skid plate bolts to.

Looking up behind the radiator shroud.

I'll fiddle around with it some more, and route the other lines too. Could be just that I've not found the best route.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
495 Posts
Well, ended up overtop that frame member.

After a few tries, got them all routed I think, but will have to check and zip tie them into place. Will also have to go back and add the header wrap in a couple places to protect rubbing. I had to screw the lower one onto the lower radiator fitting (which wasn't easy even that way) before routing it anywhere, and routed it a little different than in the pictured instructions. But this seemed the best way, as it didn't rub the radiator hoses, and it kept it from the tie rods and axle. That one is up by the exhaust manifold, but plenty far away. I'll add some wrap there just to be sure. After that will be hoping for no leaks....

Just couldn't find that perfect way to get them through there, hopefully I've got them good though. It did seem easier to route them front to back, attaching them to the cooler/radiator, then bending them around to the best places.

I'll leave the skid plates off and pressure wash underneath to remove the buildup, but seemed to have caught it early enough that it isn't too bad.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
How much fluid is lost when replacing the cooler lines?

Is it negligible, or is it more efficient to do a drain and fill with Transynd/new spin on at the same time?

·
Registered
7,689 Posts
I'd drain and fill at the same time, get even more out

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Just a update....my lines seem to be doing well...I haven't noticed any leaks since the last time I tightened them up. I put them tighter than I liked for fear of stripping the threads, but it did the trick!

Ok now I got a question that I should have thought of BEFORE I decided to use these lines...lol If I want to update the trans cooler what options do I have being the fittings have to screw into the new cooler?

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
Just a update....my lines seem to be doing well...I haven't noticed any leaks since the last time I tightened them up. I put them tighter than I liked for fear of stripping the threads, but it did the trick!

Ok now I got a question that I should have thought of BEFORE I decided to use these lines...lol If I want to update the trans cooler what options do I have being the fittings have to screw into the new cooler?

Maybe this Dan... http://www.xtremediesel.com/fleece-fpe-tl-st-setrab-fittings.aspx

But I would call alligator.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
Thanks Mike! It's a long ways away before I mess with building trans and updating the cooler.....but I want to get it all figured out before hand. I'm pretty sure I want a Mike L cooler, but I'm happy to entertain other ideas.

I will be visiting Mike sometime next week to get my trans fluid exchanged.

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
Thanks Mike! It's a long ways away before I mess with building trans and updating the cooler.....but I want to get it all figured out before hand. I'm pretty sure I want a Mike L cooler, but I'm happy to entertain other ideas.

Dan I got an idea for you, and it is very cost effective!! :grin2:

·
Registered
7,885 Posts

·
Registered
7,665 Posts

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
Jason you have my attention.....

fits like its meant to be there

Dan when your ready... I have the brackets pre made that I can send you and I have new fittings as well for ya. All you need to do is buy the cooler, but I can assist you with this bud :grin2:

This is my pic from my cooler on my truck!!! Easy swap out and done in less than 20 min

Reactions: 1TRIKHD and 830king
461 - 480 of 521 Posts