Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

501 - 520 of 521 Posts

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Well after I sent a pic of the threads of the the fitting that gm had in the radiator deviant emailed me back asking for my shipping address. That is good customer service considering the parts been on the truck for a year already. Now hopefully I can get this leak sealed up!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The last email for my shipping address with deviant was Wednesday around 4pm. When I got home from work today there was a package from them at my door. They sent me both radiator fittings, washers, and orings free of charge. Im very pleased with their customer service! I sure hope the threads in the radiator aren't all fucked up and this is the end of my leaks. Hopefully get to it this weekend yet if it warms up a bit.

Reactions: 1TRIKHD

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Had a little time after work today so I backed the truck in the garage and tore it apart. Got the new fitting installed, I only removed the one that was leaking....lower one on the radiator. Fired it up let it idle about 15 minutes and didn't see a single drop. I gonna let it sit a day or so before putting the intake and stuff back on to see if it has a drop hanging later. So far so good! Opened a cold beer now

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
After 24 hours of sitting in the garage there is no signs of a leak. So I put the intake and everything back on it. Simple greened all the atf residue off the radiator, hoses, and anywhere under the hood....still gotta get the residue off the wheel well liner and under the cab. I'm a happy camper so far!

Reactions: johncoctostan

·
Registered
18,452 Posts
After 24 hours of sitting in the garage there is no signs of a leak. So I put the intake and everything back on it. Simple greened all the atf residue off the radiator, hoses, and anywhere under the hood....still gotta get the residue off the wheel well liner and under the cab. I'm a happy camper so far!

Beer time

Reactions: 830king

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Insurance company is coming out tomorrow to "look" at their shitty windshield install job on my Buick that has the molding flapping Inn the breeze. Driving truck tomorrow for the first time outta town, fingers crossed!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok guys I found the magic method to easy installation, own a ton of VW diesels and do all your own work for years and you will find these lines are a piece of cake, I did mine in my driveway on my back at 20 degrees and snowing in under 2 hours :grin2: great kit and got it in less than 24 hrs from order time in NH !!

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Had a little time after work today so I backed the truck in the garage and tore it apart. Got the new fitting installed, I only removed the one that was leaking....lower one on the radiator. Fired it up let it idle about 15 minutes and didn't see a single drop. I gonna let it sit a day or so before putting the intake and stuff back on to see if it has a drop hanging later. So far so good! Opened a cold beer now

Update, it's been about 10 months and still been leak free.

Reactions: johncoctostan

·
Registered
432 Posts
Update, it's been about 10 months and still been leak free.

Good deal. Thanks for posting up and letting us know. I may have to venture in to this project soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok, it's time to get wet...

I just today installed a set of Deviant trans lines in my 07 Classic. Oddly, the instructions included with the kit were almost exactly word-for-word the same as those at the beginning of this thread, and they were sufficient for me to git'r'done. The lines were Eaton 3000psi 1/2 ID, with what seemed like good fittings that threaded perfectly. The lines had a nice shrinkwrap cap on each end, and the fittings were also protected with plastic caps. I used a lift, and thank the Good Lord that I had one (on my local military base), because I went up and down about 10 times. I also had interference between the original lower trans fitting and my 4" MBRP pipe, and I simply loosened the v-band clamp between the uppipe and tailpipe to get it undone.

This job requires a can of patience (rather than the can'o'man required to break loose the brake caliper bolts...), and you can plan on dumping some trans fluid on the ground, so have some sweeping compound available. Spend some time cleaning everything that has been soaked with fluid and caked with dirt, so you can figure out if you've got new leaks. Also, don't be too quick to tighten up the fittings before you install the large inter-cooler hoses...it's a tight fit, but works with some patience...

I drove it home about 15 miles, and don't see any evidence of leakage, unlike the previous steady drip drip drip.

Hats off to Marauderer for a great confidence-building write-up...

Reactions: MaximuSD

·
"THEEPASUCKS"
1,433 Posts
Quick question regarding tightening all of the fittings at the radiator, cooler and transmission. How much do you tighter them? I read thru the entire thread and no mention of this. Just snug good? Thanks...

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #512
That is a really difficult question to answer. More than just snug but not Ball Busting tight. I have never had any leaks from my install

·
"THEEPASUCKS"
1,433 Posts
Ha Ha, I get what you are saying. I would assume the transmission ones could handle a bit more torque than the radiator. Then the cooler up front being the least beings it can break easily. Thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #514
When i originally installed this kit the lines were 1/2". A lot of folks were just coming out with their own kits and were using 5/8" lines and told me I would have problems cooling with only 1/2" lines. I also installed the PPE trans cooler. My trans is built with the Alligator Stg 5 Kit with SunCoast torque converter. I tow a 14K lb 5th wheel camper and have never had a problem with trans cooling. Even on the days that are high 90's and steep grades the trans fluid temp has never exceeded 115*F over ambient and most of the time stays at 90*F over ambient. The thumb rule is 100*F over ambient is normal. For all that have installed a trans fluid line kit you are ahead of the game.;)

·
"THEEPASUCKS"
1,433 Posts
Good to know as I bought the 1/2” kit.

·
"THEEPASUCKS"
1,433 Posts
Now I replaced one line at a time and the first one I did was the outlet of the trans cooler back to the transmission (upper one). The fittings in the transmission, radiator cooler, and transmission cooler I left loose and after hooking up the hoses I did the final alignment and then tightened the fitting both the hose and the threaded body fittings. When removing the old lines I cut the flex hose and they came out so much easier with no hassle. After I replaced the return hose I removed the old and then replaced the outlet of the radiator to the transmission cooler line (straight fitting on one end and a 90* fitting on the other). I left all hose and cooler/trans fittings loose until the final alignment (after all hoses installed). And last I removed an replaced the outlet of the transmission to the Radiator Trans cooler line. I ended up removing the outlet of the radiator to trans cooler line at the radiator so I could get the lower radiator cooler line installed and after I got it final installed (all fittings tight) I reinstalled the CAC to ENG hose and then did the upper radiator fitting alignment and tightened.

The lower 90 degree fitting that goes on the bottom of the radiator. Is this one a PITA to install with the intercooler tube in the way? Eyeballing it, kinda looks like it will hit the plastic tube while turning it to install. Maybe I'm just being paranoid LoL.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #517
That kit has been around for many years and I haven't read where anybody has had any significant problems installing it as you say you are probably just paranoid and you just need to pull the trigger and do it. LOL!🤪 I'm trying to remember how I was back when I installed mine which I think was in 2010. I remember thinking oh I wonder about this or I wonder about that and anyway after I got it all installed and hooked up and everything and crank the truck up and I didn't have any leaks what can you say. Keep us informed and I hope it goes well for you.

·
"THEEPASUCKS"
1,433 Posts
Ya I think you’re right. Going to get it done later today. Thanks for the info.

·
"THEEPASUCKS"
1,433 Posts
Thanks to Marauderer for this thread, got it all done.

Wasn’t hard just a tad messy beings you have to cut the lines at the rubber hose sections to remove them. Marked all the lines prior to removing them to have a easy visual of where they go.

One thing I did to reduce the amount of transmission fluid from getting over the place was blew the lines out with an air compressor. I removed the lower transmission line first and let it drain into a pan, removed the radiator side and blew air threw it. Once I cut the rubber section there was no oil left inside. Repeated with the other two.

Having a 1” crows foot fitting helped with tightening the lower radiator fitting.

Made a hose support bracket to replace the factory one at the two battery cables.

All installed.

The stock lines and fittings are so cheap compared to the upgraded ones!

Stock Radiator Fittings.

Stock Transmission Fittings.

Upgraded Fittings

Not sure how the 5/8” lines could flow better than the 1/2” lines beings the inlet and outlet inside the transmission is 1/2”?

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #520
Great write-up on your installation I like your idea of labeling all the lines as they went into the different components. If I hadn't already done this a long time ago I would have used your pictures and description to help install mine. Congratulations glad you got it done and it wasn't too big of a hassle. Yes, anytime you're dealing with transmission fluid it is nasty and messy but you did a great job of minimizing the amount of mess and I applaud your efforts

501 - 520 of 521 Posts