Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 128 Posts

· Premium Member
711 Posts
Subscribed!

· Vendor
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I would love to learn how to do all that! I like working on my truck i just am not as knowing as some. Thats why im on here tho! Would love to learn. The diesel schools i know of all seem to be semi diesels tho.
Hey man if you want to learn how, then just read the thread!!

Seriously I never worked on a diesel before I did my injectors.
I just checked around online till I found this article, and then went into my garage and started tearing stuff apart. It is not that complicated once you start doing it.

· Registered
48 Posts
I not looling foward to this. I know i have a few bad injectors in my LB7, here's something i been wondering if a guy had the new style lines and vavle covers could you swap them when you do the injectors, this has ran across my mind to start looking if they would swap out. so you dont have to go through all that mess.

· Registered
4,238 Posts
bookmarked! this should be a sticky!

The diesel schools i know of all seem to be semi diesels tho.
after spending 2 years in a diesel school ive learned 1 very important thing, when it comes to the mechanical aspect and the moving parts the name on the side of the engine doesnt matter, essentially a diesel is a diesel and a good diesel school will teach you what you need to know to work on ANYTHING even the silly gassers :rof a big cummins, cat, detroit etc all look pretty similar to this on the inside

this is the valve assembly from a Cat 3406B from 1989 and its practically the same except its mechanical injection

sorry for the long post but if you wanna learn this kinda stuff in a school even a school for Semi trucks will give you TONS of info about our trucks

· Registered
275 Posts
The writeup makes it look easy, but VERY time consuming....
If you've gone into the valve covers in other cars (gasser or diesel), it's very similiar, except our trucks have a upper and lower valve cover!

· Vendor
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
.........Here's something i been wondering if a guy had the new style lines and vavle covers could you swap them when you do the injectors, this has ran across my mind to start looking if they would swap out. so you dont have to go through all that mess.
I have heard others talk about that idea before, but from what I heard you would need to change the block under the valve covers as well as changing the injector controll module.
Wish it would be easier to upgrade! :eek:

it seems easy then replacing a turbo..IMO Thanks man really good info.
Your welcome, - thought it was time for someone to put a good write up on the DF!! :drink

· Registered
1,439 Posts
I fear that this is in my near future over 100K on first replacement set and im gettin some white smoke... SUBSCRIBED!!!

· Banned
1,692 Posts
To see what injector is bad all you need to do is check your balance rates and see how much fuel the injectors are returning to the tank.

· The Good Son!
2,396 Posts
Duratitus,

Great write up!!! :drink

How many miles were on the engine and what kind of oil do you use and how often do you changes it, just curious?
I'm not trying to derail just thought the heads looked aweful clean and figured you probably had 100k-150k on it.

· Vendor
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
I did not write this thread originally, - I just copied it from "HeavyDuty" on Diesel Bombers website.

Now as for my injector change, I had them all replaced under warranty at around 80K and then I had to change a couple out again at 149,000 miles.
I run Amsoil and change it every 5,000 miles. - But the pictures are not from my truck, all though I can say my heads looked just as clean :D :drink

· Registered
89 Posts
ugh, same scenario here. had mine all done at 110 then #7 craps out on me 2,000 miles ago at 154k. thanks for the copy-over, this is the best writeup i've found yet. bd fuel filter kit and new reman gm injector ready to go!

· Registered
691 Posts
ugh, same scenario here. had mine all done at 110 then #7 craps out on me 2,000 miles ago at 154k. thanks for the copy-over, this is the best writeup i've found yet. bd fuel filter kit and new reman gm injector ready to go!
Had mine done at 112K and now at 167K my #7 too is going south. Yeah, great writeup.

· Premium Member
38 Posts
Wow! Thanx for the post. I am good now, but already starting to psych myself up for it. Just bought this 01 Dually at 134K and have no history.

· Registered
674 Posts
Just wondering what injectors are worth from Gm and how much it would be for Gm to do it any ideas?

· Registered
3,833 Posts
Great DIY, nice job to everyone involved with writing it. :cool:

ben

21 - 40 of 128 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.