Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had some time today and my truck is about due for a fuel filter so I decided to take pics and do a write up. Here it goes.

Here are the things you will need...
-Fuel filter
-Water in fuel sensor wrench
-Thread tape
-Big oil filter wrench
-Gloves
-Tuperware or cup
-Transgel or other lube for O-rings

I go straight through the top to get to the fuel filter, unplug the WIF sensor connector, loosen the fuel filter with oil filter wrench, then unscrew by hand. I bring the fuel filter up through the AC lines and battery area. Then put the old fuel filter un tupperware.

Next use the WIF sensor wrench and remove the WIF sensor.

Remove old O-ring and give the WIF sensor a shot of brake clean to clean it up, put on new o-ring and a couple layers of thread tape, make sure you wrap the thread tape in the same direction as the threads so it doesnt bunch up while tightening, next lube the o-ring with transgel.

I tighten the WIF sensor snug by hand and then give it a half turn with the wrench.

Then onto the big o-ring, get it set in nice and snug in the groove, then rub some transgel on it, get it in the crack around the o-ring, this will help it stay in during install, next lube the center o-ring/bushing, this will help it slide on nice.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Then back through the hole and screw the new fuel filter on.

Then snug it up with the big oil filter wrench, not real tight just nice and snug

Then crack the bleeder screw loose and start pumping the primer.

Pump until fuel starts coming out, then snug the screw back up, not real tight you are screwing into aluminum, that why I just use a flat head screwdriver.

Clean around filter with either brake clean or a rag, pump primer a few more times and check for leaks around WIF sensor and top of filter were it meets the housing. If no leaks, start truck up and check for leaks while running. If no leaks, then you are done and just saved yourself lots of easy money. Do this every 10-15K miles, it only takes about 10 mins and is very easy. Hope this helps some people out and encourages them to try it themselves.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.