Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished installing my downpipe . Took a couple hours to do it . The hardest part was dipstick tube nuts .

This is my first DIY post so bear with me .

tools I used
10 , 11 , 14 mm sockets , 3/8 air ratchet ,pb blaster , pry bar .

Remove passenger wheel and wheel well (fender liner)
take front pipe loose from down pipe . remove front pipe if possible i didnt
but would help . remove bolt on bottom of downpipe and 3 bolts in heatshield
loosen 2 nuts on dipstick most say remove dipstick but I didnt have to .
remove turbo heatshield , take off band from turbo to downpipe , wiggle downpipe from bottom may be stuck pretty good I had to spray top with pb blaster a work it back and forth a bit to get it out . sand turbo outlet to get rid of soot also sand downpipe where it goes into turbo put a little lube on it to get it in . install turbo clamp , bolt in bottom tighten dipstick tube , front pipe clamp . check for leaks . replace wheel well . and test drive . Wow it was worth it !!!

Reactions: MoonDuramax

·
Word Up
3,517 Posts
Nice DIY. If you do a few you will find great ways to position yourself to get the dipstick nuts and heatshield bolts off. i like to get right up in the fender well, lying on my back feet against the driver tire and push back and wiggle myself till im in sitting position against the passenger side tire. limited arm movement but u can pretty much get them all from there....

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
hey beech when my camera gets here that i ordered from nick..ill stick the camera to the side of the truck and get a vid everyone has been waiting for

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
yes! its not a ductape one it has a suction cup camera mount!!
and he said he stuck it to one of his friends camaro and was going over 100 and it didnt move
i dunno man, i believe him but i bet my truck pull more g's then that and doesn't ride as smooth either....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Guys . I have been helped by alot of other posts on here thanks to everyone that has done one .

·
Hey Ass Man!
1,265 Posts
Did you notice a big difference in your power after the downpipe was installed?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I could tell a pretty good difference turbo spools up quicker , a little deeper sound . I would recomend doing it . Look at the pics of stock and diamond eye , gotta flow alot better with new one .

·
Registered
589 Posts
any diff in egts with the heat wrap?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Nice write up wish I would of had this last weekend oh well

·
Registered
412 Posts
nice, can not wait to do mine