Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1576 Posts

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a great way to clean your injectors and improve your balance rates.
First go to your gm dealer and buy the GM upper engine fuel injector cleaner p/n 88861802, about 15 bucks. This CAN NOT be run through the fuel tank. To run this cleaner you have to use the quick disconnects at the rear of the engine.

1. Remove the quick disconnects at the rear of the engine, you will need a set of quick disconnect line tools. the return line is 3/8 and the suction line is 1/2.

2. Once lines are disconnected, install rubber fuel hose to the lines with hose clamps. You will need 3/8 hose and 1/2, about 5 ft of each.

3. use 1/2 gallon of clean diesel fuel and mix 13 oz. of the injector cleaner in a container (I used an old rotella 1 gal. bottle)

4. put both the return and suction lines into the container and place container out of the way of engine. (sat mine on a step ladder next to truck). you can set it on the floor but will need about 8-10 ft of hose.

5. start the engine, check for leaks. run all of the the diesel fuel in the container out, will take time. (mine sat at idle for 1.5 hours). if the truck dies, no big deal, just prime it once you reconnect the fuel lines.

6. once fuel is gone, reconnect the fuel lines, should hear a snap. and done. make sure to check for leaks when finished.

hope this helps some people. my balance rates are much better now, and the engine runs much smoother. maybe try this first if you think you have an injector going bad.

·
Registered
44 Posts
A video of this would be the goods . Hope ya can get one cause I think I'd do mine .

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cannot do a video, dont have a video camera or fancy phone. it is a fairly simple process, even if you dont have that much mechanical experience. as far as balance rates, my #8 injector was averaging 3.6 to 5.0 and after the cleaning is a solid 1.9-2.0 and the rest of my injectors are within +/- 1.0. much better than they were. GM recommends this cleaning every 50,000 miles.

·
Registered
770 Posts
10-4. once my v2 gets here im goin to check mine an will more than likely do this to mine an see what happens. nothing is wrong with mine that i know of jus like nice clean properly workin parts

·
Registered
44 Posts
No problem bud thanks for the good info and i'll be doin this like to keep it clean and make it last.
Good info from good people makes this site the best.

·
Registered
40 Posts
has any one seen any fuel milage benefit from this just courious

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Should make a sticky?

·
Registered
304 Posts
work on all Dmaxes? its worth a shot, my injectors in my LB7 were done prob 30k ago, but I don't have a FASS or Airdog, so a good cleaning won't hurt anything! Thanks for the DIY!

a little maintence now saves a lot of money in the long run! especially when it comes to injectors. anyone know how much it is to have an injector system clean/flush from the dealer?

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
Good write up but for those of us with lift pumps will have to remove the fuse to the lift pump. If the fuse isn't removed it could make for an exxon valued size diesel spill in our driveways.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes, you will have to disable the lift pump if equipped with one.

·
Registered
770 Posts
yes, you will have to disable the lift pump if equipped with one.
haha im the idiot there i forgot about it an lost bout a half gallon but i did put it in a milk jug jus cuz it leaked a lil out. now to the results this helped out my injectors alot. i had 2 that were dead nuts on the line for bein bad and it dropped them back to the +1 to +2 range an the rest were really close to zero. i will get the actual rates when i figure out how to do a screen shot thing

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
haha im the idiot there i forgot about it an lost bout a half gallon but i did put it in a milk jug jus cuz it leaked a lil out. now to the results this helped out my injectors alot. i had 2 that were dead nuts on the line for bein bad and it dropped them back to the +1 to +2 range an the rest were really close to zero. i will get the actual rates when i figure out how to do a screen shot thing
thanks for the write up John, think i might have to try this myself.

and you guys with lift pumps talking about running fuses, how hard would it be to run a upfitter type switch in the cab to turn it on and off. i'd like for it to be able to be in the on position listening to the radio or something and not have the thing buzzing to hell

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thanks for the write up. Gonna try this and see if it helps.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
so basically you mix diesel fuel and this stuff together disconnect your fuel lines from the truck, hook up 2 new fuel lines that are running from a bucket containing said contents to the engine turn it on and let it idle til it dies?

Reactions: JDWood

·
Registered
770 Posts
so basically you mix diesel fuel and this stuff together disconnect your fuel lines from the truck, hook up 2 new fuel lines that are running from a bucket containing said contents to the engine turn it on and let it idle til it dies?
yep might wanna grab a beer or 2. i sat out an watched mine just to be there incase anything went wrong

1 - 20 of 1576 Posts