Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm always looking at stuff and contemplating on whether or not I can do it, and if so can I do it better. I have serious rubbing issues with my tires on the front bumper, but I like my tires.......and not my bumper so I decided it had to go. I looked all over the web for ideas on a bumper I could fab, I really leaned towards a tubular bumper hard, I really like the look, but I don't have the cash for a good bender, and you don't realize how much crap your bumper hides until you take it off! So i decided I would try my hand at a Fab4 style bumper, minus the built in winch...........again because I don't have the money(for the record, its because I'm a full time college student....). Plus I think those look really bulky and front heavy. My goal was to make a solid, sleek bumper that has the angular design of the Fab4, but hugs the truck better, rather then looking like a set of double D's falling out of there hangers. It's not finished, but the pictures below show what I accomplished last Saturday.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The rest of the pictures for now. The one with the green circles is where I plan on mounting the internal fogs. It will have 3-4 7" spots across the top in front of the grill, and two very large clevis hooks in the mid section.

After it was all together I numbered each part, then disassembled it. I designed each part in auto CAD today, and I will be running it through our automated plasma cutter at work hopefully later this week. If everything goes to plan I should be able to start assembling the final product this weekend. If that happens keep a look out, next week around this time you should start seeing more pictures.

..........That last picture is my new (temporary) bumper. The stock one was a pain to try and put on alone. Plus this one gets me WAY more looks.

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
hell yea build me one too!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Let me get this one finished first, then we can talk. I guess I really never said why I chose to build instead of buy.......its because I have no money hahaha. Plus Fab4 seems pretty proud of their bumpers.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet man.

Husker Diesel is right down the road from me!

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
I really don't know if a cardboard bumper is legal or safe....Gonna take a hell of alot of tape to make it stay put:poke[1]:

Should look pretty good when done.

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
Looks good but be careful with selling them, there is probably a copyright on their design and everybody is sue happy nowadays.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HAHA ya, if I didn't have to pull it apart to take all my measurements, I was gunne leave it on there. I know my 2x4 bumper gets me looks, but that would have brought laughter!

It should look cool, I'm gunna tig weld it together, grind all the joints smooth, add some built in fogs and mount some spot lights across the top. I'm pretty excited about it!

·
Registered
74 Posts
looks like a good start ... cant wait to see it done ... something i am lookin at doing

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
HAHA ya, if I didn't have to pull it apart to take all my measurements, I was gunne leave it on there. I know my 2x4 bumper gets me looks, but that would have brought laughter!

It should look cool, I'm gunna tig weld it together, grind all the joints smooth, add some built in fogs and mount some spot lights across the top. I'm pretty excited about it!
A recessed tow hook design might be cool too....Never seen anyone do anything like that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya that would. Maybe on the next one, I would have to redesign the mounting system I have for this, and I already have the plates being processed to this mounting system. Thats a really good idea though. maybe I'll try that out on the back bumper and see how it works out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i think you should share your measurements so we can DIO (do it ourselves) hahaha nice job. it looks like it will turn out nice! :thumb

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
subd. thats gunna look pretty sweet

·
Registered
237 Posts
Subscribed

·
Registered
36 Posts
subd. i have been thinking about making one. i wanna see how it comes out

·
Registered
578 Posts
Sub'd. Looks great so far.

Sent from my Milestone X using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys! As far as measurements go, I have a few for the shell so I could get the parts cut, but a lot of it is still in my head, I haven't quite figured out how I want to mount it to the frame. We'll see how everything turns out first. Hopefully I get my part before Saturday, our plasma operator came in yesterday afternoon and said they had to pull off the cutting head for repair. He wasn't making promises but thought he could squeeze it in. Saturday's are my only windows of oppurtunity right now due to school, I really don't want to wait 2 weeks!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Sub'd!

1 - 20 of 207 Posts