Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello everyone,

figured i would do a short write up on my ongoing installation of the Skyjacker Dual Steering Stabilizer kit i bought a while back. This is my version of installing this kit because with the Cognito steering supports you cant simply slap this kit on without doing something to keep the suports from crushing the stabilizers!

I am using Skyjacker kit# 7211 (picture below) which you can buy from Ebay for the same price i bought mine for, and you could even get free shipping

Ebay Search Results for SkyJacker 7211

$T2eC16NHJHgE9n0yEipFBRUO3w4G4!~~60_57.jpg
skyjacker.JPG
image.jpg

soo i will go through the steps i decided to take to get this going, and though im not finished yet (since i cored a few bits out drilling the holes) i will finish it either today or tomorrow (getting a new bit set today!!)

this kit is required to have a minimum of 4 inches of lift so not everyone will be able to run this, unless you can figure how to modify it and MAKE it work!

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the information below is from when i installed the "ears" a few months ago

I got quoted $100 to put the kit on and let me tell you, i was damn determined once i started to pay that kind of money!

so anywho, there was a tiny secret that was killing my install time, because anyone that does work on their own knows you will end up taking twice or three times as long the first time vs the second time

here are a few pictures, i fought and fought with the bolt to go back through the cross member that i was going insane until i figured out the washer that goes behind the new brackets when they get bolted up wasnt going all the way down the shaft of the bolt, it was getting hung up so i sprayed some degreaser on it and finally it worked, i cant honestly say if you have a lifted truck probably not higher than mine you could do this in your driveway with simple tools, and a jack, i didnt even use jack stands because once you pull the crossmemeber bolts out you just have to adjust the jack to get it back through again

i put the jack (without a top on it, just the flat piece) back where the control arm in the rear meets the frame
using%20jack.JPG

i was a little nervous of letting the crossmember collapse up towards the frame without all my tools here, so i shoved a few strong pieces between there JUST IN CASE!
just%20to%20make%20sure.JPG

bolt is out and nothing collapsed, PHEW!
bolt%20out.JPG

here is the driver side bracket, the washer needs to go between the frame and the bracket
how%20it%20needs%20to%20be.JPG

i didnt check this before hand so i was fighting with this bolt forever until i finally got so mad i pulled it back out and realized the washer wouldnt go all the way down the bolt, soooooo it wasnt allowing the bolt to go all the way through the cross member which was driving me nuts, even with beating the crap out of it with the hammer, so i sprayed the degreaser on it and fortunately the jack handle was perfect, i just put it in there and gave it a few good hits and it was where it needed to be! in that pic below is how far it would go!, FORCE DA $HIT!
getting%20bolt%20ready.JPG

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
here is the driverside done, TOOK FOREVER
driver%20side.JPG

here is the passenger side, took 2 minutes....literally
pass%20side.JPG

degreaser from work
degreaser.jpg

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
alright now we are up to date

here are the stabilizers fitted with the supplied bushings. Took a little degreaser and some force and they popped right in!
IMG_4174.jpg

here is the old Rancho RS stabilizer with the full thread bolt idea
its been on there for maybe...18000 miles i believe
IMG_4175.jpg

here was a mock up just to see how the bracket in its "Normal" state would work with the stabilizers and the centerlink
IMG_4176.jpg

the stabilizer end is bolted to the supplied "ear" and you can already see how close the stabilizer body is to the support right there
IMG_4177.jpg

the stabilizer and its bushing arent even pushed up all the way on the supplied "center" mount and its already getting closed to the steering support.....when i pulled the center mount off and pushed the stabilizer onto the stud all the way and put the mount back on thee centerlink it (the stabilizer body) was touching the steering support, no bueno!
IMG_4178.jpg

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
here is the plate i will be using, courtesy of work (scrap metal bin)
IMG_4179.jpg

the tabs will need to be bent up, or cut off
IMG_4180.jpg

got the plate marked
IMG_4181.jpg

needs some trimming
IMG_4182.jpg

plate was trimmed, and the supplied bracket was marked, so i could cut the corners off
IMG_4183.jpg

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im not 100% done with this piece, i still need to make the right angle straighter, but it wont really matter because you wont see it and it will be welded up!

IMG_4184.jpg

IMG_4185.jpg

you are probably asking why i cut the corners off?

well, to use the supplied u bolts and nuts i didnt want the ubolt to have to travel through two pieces of metal and not give me enough thread to bolt it to the centerlink. Since the new plate is going to be the one that mounts to the centerlink i wanted to make sure the bolts had room to turn once getting bolted down

essentially you can see i now have made the mounting position for the studs maybe 1.5" lower than what the kit was designed to do, which should achieve the centerlink swinging left and right without the "PISK" crushing or damaging the stabilizers

once i get a new bit set today i will finish drilling the holes and maybe weld it in a few spots so i can go test fit it before i weld the crap out of the two pieces!

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
test fitting

used a pair of snap on vice grips to hold the two pieces together while i turn it both frontwards and backwards to see how it looked

so far the test fit went good and the stabilizers will clear the supports. One thing i will need to do is trim the supplied bracket on the straight edge between where i sliced the corners, because when it attached to the centerlink it might be too, how do i say "tall"? im talking about the supplied bracket in picture #3 of this post, you can see where when attached to the centerlink it might interfere right there so i might just have to trim it down a little

we will see

also the centerlink stud where the Rancho stabilizer attached will be removed

IMG_4186.jpg

IMG_4187.jpg

IMG_4188.jpg

IMG_4189.jpg

IMG_4190.jpg

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like the idea, cant wait till it's done.
I want to know how much it helped you.

Working on it right now actually

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well

It's finally done

I will drive it to work tomorrow to see how it reacts

Install pictures to be uploaded tomorrow morning

I've already taken it up and down the road and even on the highway for a quick moment and let me tell you, things are good :thumb

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Big difference?
So far its better than one

I can still overpower the wheels of course but when I test drove it I could immediately tell no matter what road surface I was (not talking crappy dirt roads) the steering wheel never shook and always stayed centered

If I was still enough to hold the phone I would have taken a video!

So far I'm happy!

I will see how it works out on some of the crappy paved roads I venture through on my 50 mile round trip , work route

:drink

·
Registered
900 Posts
sweet!!! why didn't I know about this a week ago?!?! interested to see if it really makes a big difference. you might have to go to several mall parking lots to get full articulation to really put this to the test. you also might want to throw the boots over those shafts....wouldn't want to get mud and dust all inside them :rof :drink

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sweet!!! why didn't I know about this a week ago?!?! interested to see if it really makes a big difference. you might have to go to several mall parking lots to get full articulation to really put this to the test. you also might want to throw the boots over those shafts....wouldn't want to get mud and dust all inside them :rof :drink
oh ya i got some boots for them!!

i was thinking maybe some target or walmart parking lots, since they have all the shopping carts i could maneuver through! :rofl

:gearjamin

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
had to get a new drill bit set

cored a few of my old ones, so these came in handy!
IMG_4204.jpg

here are the two pieces ready to go back under the truck and see how far down i need to position them
IMG_4205.jpg

under the truck checking things out
IMG_4206.jpg
IMG_4207.jpg

1 - 20 of 110 Posts