Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It has been over 2 years since I posted this thread. I took a look at the passenger battery today, and it was fine. We have had over 10 inches of rain the 6 weeks, and my problem seems resolved. On a side note, I have moved out to Georgia since originally posting. My driveway has a incline which I believe has also help with my situation. If anyone has any updates, let's hear about them. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am glad to find this feed. I am having the same problem with my 07 duramax and I will be doing the same thing that you guys have. I've already got the tray and the metal piece mounted to the firewall that has the studs. I haven't started the repair yet and am wondering.
Are those studs on the firewall plate welded to the firewall ? I would greatly appreciate any more information that you guys could provide on this topic. I use my truck every day for work and can't afford any down time . It would be great to know what I am up against and am not equipped with welding tools . Thanks guys

·
Registered
9 Posts
Let me rephrase, because it sounds like these studs are already mounted . They are not. I haven't started yet and wonder what to expect with the stud plate and weather or not it is welded.
Thanks again

·
Registered
23 Posts
My passenger side was completely gone I ended up cutting out the bad and getting another fender and welded on a patch, then painted. Thing is I went to the Chevy dealer here in Houston and they said they don't know what a acdelco agm battery even is. They assured me the professional series ac delcos would be sealed so hopefully it won't flood. Wondering if my battery will have any problems...?

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Very good read! Glad I saw this, now time to do mine!!!

·
Registered
486 Posts
will be addressing this in the spring,,I can see my battery tray is very rusty,,for the second time.

·
Premium Member
17,807 Posts
I also believe that the high heat in that part of the engine compartment, contributes to the passenger side battery failing, before the driver side battery. Over full and being wet can contribute to draining the power also.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
A LITTLE LONG ___Well after extensive reading I had came across this thread..I was not having issues at all with my new to me Duramax starting, however I have been doing some extensive modifications to the truck. last Thursday night I had the shop in the truck to route my Airdog wiring. While I had the hood up the snow was melting off the hood and the running water was dripping off the cowl right on top of the battery. I had noticed a rusty tray and inner firewall while doing my MBRP down pipe and noted to self FIX this coming summer. Well Friday morning I woke up to -6 and a truck that would not start you cannot believe how pissed I was after actually discussing these issues with my buddy at the shop. Fast forward 1)the battery's while looking brand new wee actually 5 yrs old AND THEY WERE ONLY 700cc ac delco. Now I have new tray parts on order hoping the fender well is not too bad, and I replaced the battery's with 2 Duracell AGM 775CC that have a 48 month warranty ( not prorated ) they die they replace. SO no more water overfilling the batterys in the future. I will also work on 3D Printing a battery cover that will keep water from setting on the top of the battery

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Seeing this thread reminded me I need to replace my tray. It was in bad shape when I bought the truck.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
y'all heard of sealed batteries right? i would bet that 99.99% of non sealed batteries have never topped off the electrolyte, nor would have the faintest idea how to do it, just buy sealed batteries and life is great. no rust, no acid, no spills, higher resting voltage. more better in every way.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Are red top optimas considered a sealed battery? Looks like the cowling under my windshield is warped, letting water run right on my battery. It killed 2 black top interstates. Just put optimas in. We’ll see...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ran accross leaking battery acid before in my 02 and I went ahead and changed the batteries several times under warranty and then changed the alternator since I thought it was defective but nope still leaked. I changed the batteries once again to the same results. I really couldn't understand why and bought some optimas to solve the problem. Never thought about removing some battery acid wish I knew this at the time. Anyways just to say I can attest to the fact replacing my alternator and batteries made no difference.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Napa Legends (east Penn), ftw.
The cap design on these^, doesn't allow penetration. Purposely poor water on it, bucket, water hose, doesn't matter.

No leaks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ill mention this and forgive me if anyone has covered it...the large wire that connects the batteries in PARALLEL may be corroded near the positive terminal on either battery,start by pulling the terminal off BOTH batteries and have a good look and inspect the wire itself(you may have to strip back a little of the insulation on the wire to check,so dont cut it totally away,slice it in such a way that you can easily and neatly tape it back intact),oftwn times the wire will have corrosion and or be brittle causing a high resistance between the two batteries,and if this is the case the alternator WILL overcharge in an attempt to keep the voltage proper,the result is that it always will cause one battery to fail prematurely and the other one wont be far behind...check that the wires connecting the batteries isnt corroded or has a loose connection...may just save a few of you guys a bit of work or headaches when dealing with dual battery setups

·
Registered
1 Posts
Awesome post I was about to start digging into charging system. Unfortunately I just took ownership of my truck while this problem must have been going on for a while.
F31AD358-1FF0-456B-9345-CBEDC5553FEC.jpeg
DE663510-85E5-46C3-867E-82834C54073B.jpeg

21 - 37 of 37 Posts