Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I've had my truck, it's had a rattle coming from the dash, near the headlight switch. It occured randomly, and only at idle. I read a few threads about people having similar problems and tracked it down. I fixed it last weekend, and so far no more rattle.

What you'll need

-philips screwdriver.
-3/8" drive ratchet, extension, 10mm socket (could use 1/4" drive, or screwdriver handle with a socket on the end, I just grabbed the 3/8" ratchet)
-small piece of foam, rubber, maybe even a washer.
-something to cut foam/rubber if used.

First pop the fuse panel cover off.

Next remove the 2 philip's head screws and 10mm bolt on the bottom of the panel.

The only thing holding the panel on now is clips, pull the panel towards the rear of the truck and it should pull right off. They hold it on pretty good, so it will take a good yank to pop it off. If you have the trailer brake control built into this panel, try to be careful when the panel pops off, the wires don't have much slack, and if you pull the panel out too far, risk pulling wires out etc. Unplug the controller and the panel is off.

Here is the panel. The part of the heat shield where the bolt goes through was the problem with mine. The other clips holding the shield on could be broke, and can be fixed with some type of glue, silicone etc.

I had an old foam gasket from an air cleaner laying around so that's what i used to hold the heat shield tight, but you could use basically anything foam, rubber, etc.

I cut a small piece about a couple inches long, and it already had a hold for the bolt in it.

Here it is between the heat shield and panel, with the bolt through it.

Now simply plug the trailer brake wire in, pop the panel on, tighten the 2 screws and bolt, put the fuse cover on and your done! Only takes about 10 minutes. Hope this helps some of you guys out :drink

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
I took rubber o-rings and put them under every bolt and screw.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn nice write up man.
Thanks man, just happened to notice my camera in the center console when I started tearing it apart and figured what the hell, might as well take some pics.

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yeah I noticed the same rattle as you doops22... so I decided to take mine apart a few months back and all but two of the little plastic tabs were broken off so I decided to remove the whole heat shield and be done with it!! great write up by the way!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mine was the same thing. That piece of tin will drive you crazy. Great post with the pics.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Subscibing, I need to get mine fixed as well just seems like there isn't enough time in a day.

·
Registered
252 Posts
i have the same rattle but its on an 03. and the rattle seems to be coming from more under the dashboard and directly behind the steering wheel. also only occurs at idle. any ideas ? thanks guys

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks to your instructions and pics I ran out tonight and fixed my dash rattle to - it has been bothering me for almost 3yrs now!

Great job and thanks!

·
Registered
895 Posts
You are shitting me......I have hte same proble in my 08 and can not find it I wll be foer sure trying this. Thanks for the writeup.

Phil

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine is up on top of my dash , only at idle and only sometimes . If i smack the dash it stops for a bit . Once the truck is warmed up , it stops ?? WTF .

If I feel around on the dash around the small vents for the side windows it also stops as I touch it . Damn things . I would hate to take it to the dealer and have them screw something else up trying to fix it .

Anyone else in my situation , I am going bat $hit crazy over my little rattle .

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks guys, glad I could help. :drink

as far as other rattles, I can't help ya, mine hasn't developed any more (yet). you can try to pinpoint where the rattle is by pushing the dash in different spots and see if it stops when you put pressure on different spots, thats how I found mine.

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
Mine is up on top of my dash , only at idle and only sometimes . If i smack the dash it stops for a bit . Once the truck is warmed up , it stops ?? WTF .

If I feel around on the dash around the small vents for the side windows it also stops as I touch it . Damn things . I would hate to take it to the dealer and have them screw something else up trying to fix it .

Anyone else in my situation , I am going bat $hit crazy over my little rattle .
Same place mine is. I have been turning up the radio so I don't have to hear it. I HATE rattles!!!!!!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Have the same thing on my truck. It seems to be the upper left hand corner of the plastic peace that is cousing it. Dives me and the co pilot batty.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Mine is towards the top of the dash too. Only does it when it's cold though. All summer it was rattle free (well... at least dash rattle free :rof) Not looking forward to the cold :(

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
I have pin pointed my rattles to two different places:

1 is where the top part of the dash meets the bottom, right behind the steering wheel...if that makes sense.

2 is where the dash piece that is closest to the windshield has a rattle...the little piece that houses the vents for defrost.

Now, the hard part is pulling it all a part to pin point the exact cause of the rattles.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have the same rattle on the top of dash, only when cold as Jesse said. Annoying as hell!! Any how to's on this one?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
UGHHHH !! I've been trying to find my little rattle and it is none of any of the ones mentioned in this thread !!

Mine is coming from what sounds like under the driver side dash, and is a higher pitched tick tick tick tick tick when I hit small to large bumps on mildly rough roads. It only rattles while in motion and on bumpy roads. As of now i have the dash panel thats under the steering wheel taken off. Its real hard to pin point while driving, I may have to get my girlfriend to drive while I stick my head under the dash??

1 - 20 of 33 Posts