Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, first off, I'm new to the forums as a I just bought a 07 NBS RCLB LMM! The truck only has 47k miles on it. I want it to last as long as it can...heres the issues with rust: Is this rust an issue? How should I tackle this rust to make the truck last as long as possible.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,167 Posts
Fixing frame rust like that is pretty simple, but people will argue all day about what method to use/which products to use/etc. Personally, I'd pressure wash the undercarriage really thoroughly, perhaps even use a degreaser in some sections before pressure washing, then wire brush the rusty sections, apply some POR15 (or like substance, known generally as a rust converter) that will stop further rust, then you can apply some a rubberized undercarriage coating spray (3M has a good spray stuff for this).

About whether the rust is a serious issue: I wouldn't be too overly worried, that to me just looks like basic surface rust you'll find on any vehicle that's driven through a few northern winters (I should post pictures of my Yukon that spent it's time in Ontario. The body is practically rust free, but the undercarriage is pure patina). However, it will get worse and worse as time goes on, so it definitely is a good idea to clean it all up now before it does in fact become worse.

As far as the engine bay rust goes, not really sure what you'd have to do about that. Never had to deal with that really. Perhaps someone else here will be able to chime in on that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have the money for new cab corners for that rust on the cab, will it hold up another year/year and a half

·
Registered
60 Posts
Unfortunately once rust starts you can't stop it. You can only slow it down. Linseed oil is a good thing to Spray the underside with. Good luck

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Was the engine immersed in salt water? That is a lot of rust on the engine.

Reactions: Dieseldad97

·
Registered
307 Posts
Same thing I thought when I saw the engine pic. I have never seen as much rust in the engine bay as what I see.

Wondering what the fuse box and wiring look like..

·
Registered
252 Posts
Frame can be cleaned and painted...the body panels are another story

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Same thing I thought when I saw the engine pic. I have never seen as much rust in the engine bay as what I see.

Wondering what the fuse box and wiring look like..
what should the fuse box look like? and if it was submersed in salt water is there anything in NJ that the dealership would do...

·
Registered
22,447 Posts
Unfortunately once rust starts you can't stop it. You can only slow it down. Linseed oil is a good thing to Spray the underside with. Good luck
Honestly I think it is from a lack of driving.

I have seen similar rust on vehicles with low miles that sit a lot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
there was Irene several years ago. hurricane sandy was in october2013 and jersey got hit really bad.

·
Registered
839 Posts
salvage title from flood?

Something aint right here

·
Registered
839 Posts
im sure if the owner never turned it in. Seems like its been under water esp with it having electrical issues. Did you buy it form a dealer? how long you had it?

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Get rid of the truck, that looks like more than (road) salt damage.

Reactions: Dieseldad97
1 - 20 of 39 Posts