Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok welded a pipe in place of my Dpf
Now looking to hide the hideous stock exhaust tip

Can it be taken off new tip?
Cut off half the tip and put a tip over it?

What was everyone else's solution and what size tip do I need to fit the pipe

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you liked the dumped look I wound up chopping mine right after the axle and clamped a 5" tip on. Looks better than the bazooka factory tip. Still thinking of getting some 4" pipe and fabbing a new exit.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
I like the stock tailpipe look, especially after I polished it.

Attachments

Reactions: jc8825

·
Registered
678 Posts
ive been thinking about cutting it off and dumping it after tr axle as well but you have to keep the breather(gap from tip to pipe) or whatever it's called because when it goes into reign it gets hot and could mess stuff up. it cools down the temp when exiting

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Dpf fell off a few days ago... Lol
I ended up cutting most of the bazooka off and clamping a tip onto it, still have the factory angle out the back but no more ugly tip
Has a 4 to 5 inch on it

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
Reactions: jc8825

·
Registered
678 Posts
any other ideas?

·
Registered
65 Posts
ive been thinking about cutting it off and dumping it after tr axle as well but you have to keep the breather(gap from tip to pipe) or whatever it's called because when it goes into reign it gets hot and could mess stuff up. it cools down the temp when exiting
Probably wouldn't dump it if you're DPF is still in operation. Could be a bit of a fire hazard during regen. Even with a cooking tip that's still quite a bit of heat exiting the pipe. Just my opinion YMMV

·
Registered
678 Posts
Probably wouldn't dump it if you're DPF is still in operation. Could be a bit of a fire hazard during regen. Even with a cooking tip that's still quite a bit of heat exiting the pipe. Just my opinion YMMV
Delete comming soon...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Then proceed with the dump good sir! Lol

I like the look of it. Still debating on stealing the worked over factory exhaust idea just to see how it looks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
DRC... What did you use to polish your tip? That looks good. I hit mine with some NEVR DULL wadding and it looks better but not near as nice as yours.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
DRC... What did you use to polish your tip? That looks good. I hit mine with some NEVR DULL wadding and it looks better but not near as nice as yours.

Thanks
A heck of a lot of elbo grease and real fast arm motion. :)
OR
This is what I used to do the job, in pic, @ Harbor Freight $15 for the air die grinder and $4.00 for the buffing polishing kit mainly only for the buffing wheels.
I did use the red block rubbing compond and the white compond in the kit.
But what I used on the final job was Turtle Wax white polishing compond in the short can.
I'm sure any rubbing and polishing compond would work.
Just be careful and wear a shield or goggles the air grinder is more powerful than what the buffing wheels are rated for.
I did not have any problems but the buffing wheel material does come out in little pieces.

Hope this works for you,
And remember "Wax On Wax Off" :D

Attachments

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Your welcome,
It won't come out all pretty and shinny like a polished chrome tip, but I feel it looks much better than if I did nothing.
I did the same on my 07 Denali.

·
Registered
158 Posts
"Wondered how you polished your tip" :rofl :D

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well, there I was today minding my own business, when I thought I should probably polish my tip. Yeah I grabbed the old buffing compound, electric drill, and commenced to buffing. After a little cleaning, buffing and rubbing, I too now have 'polished my tip.' If I would not have had to see D_R_C's tip, I would not have been so self conscience about mine....:rofl

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
:thumb :gearjamin

1 - 18 of 18 Posts