Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hellow im new to this so this might be a stupid ????......... i just bought a 03 2500 with the lb7 and i was wondering what should be my first step in moding it i really like that loud whistle sound that some diesel trucks give out anything will help thanks

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
straight pipe the exhaust an dput an intake on... usually ur best bet in getting the turbo whine that it sounds like ur after

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
like 06duramax said intake, straight pipe

yeah i had a staright pipe on my 06 made it sound like an airplane haha but if u like that sound then go for it... just go to youtube and serch for staright pipe duramax to see if u like the sound before you invest.. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks alot for all the feed back is there certain brands i should go for ???? i know im getting the ppe hot e+2 but im not sure in what exhaust to get in debating on a 4" or a 5" and if i go 4 rbp or mbpr so what do you guys think ?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just an FYI, LB7's don't really get a loud whistle or whine with a stock turbo. I am still running the stock intake, but have a 5" exhaust. Other than getting a louder "growl", there wasn't much difference. The later engines with the variable vane turbos will give a completely different sound. I am sure with an after market intake the whistle will pick up some...but a different turbo would be the only way you will get that loud woosh, whine, or whistle that you are after.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what turbos will do that ?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I have a pretty loud turbo whine with 4" MBRP turbo back (actually downpipe back) and AFE Stage II intake. With exhaust, it all depends on how much you want to spend since most of the exhausts out there are good. As far as bigger turbos, you can look at the aurora set-ups, but they aren't cheap. I would do the exhaust and intake and see how you like it.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I think the biggest part of the turbo whistle you hear is from the trucks that have VVT (variable vane turbos), 03-06 powerstrokes and 04.5-07 chevy's

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
do they make variable vane turbos for lb7 and if they do what brands make them ?/

·
Registered
16 Posts
also i'ev heard about a snap ring you can remove but i'm not for sure thats just my 2 cents worth

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
do they make variable vane turbos for lb7 and if they do what brands make them ?/
no, it would require a different controller. The aurora 5000 really sounds like a jet getting ready to take off. If you were to do a twin set-up it would sound good too. It has been discussed on other forums about trying to take a LLY turbo and put it on the LB7. From what I read, it wouldn't work and from what guys are saying, the fixed vane turbo is less complicated and less things go wrong with them.

Also, the duramax does not have a silencer ring like the cummins does.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you really want a load whistle just disconnect your exhaust from your down pipe. You will hear nothing but turbo whistle all day from idle to red line.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You may also try putting on an aero Turbine muffler they work awesome and they give alittle more power and mileage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts