Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got some moonshine tunes from ridge runner . Everyone says they’re basic tunes and that you get them dialed in . What am I looking for in the tunes ?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I mean it depends on what you have done to the truck but if it completely stock with turbo, fueling, & trans i don't believe you will need to "dial" the tunes in unless your having an issue with how its running on the tunes you received from them.

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
Take a data log and send it to tony. If theres anything to be changed he will change it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Take a data log and send it to tony. If theres anything to be changed he will change it.
When data logging should I have a certain tune set ? I don’t have any complaints about my tunes , but I’ve seen people say you should get is tweaked for my specific truck because they’re all different

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
Whatever tune you're going to run more often.

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
Another thing to consider pretty much all EFI tuners custom tune to every vehicle, that's the reason they requested your vin number to the vehicle which makes your tuning custom tuning specifically to your truck.
They'll know what the most current updates that your vehicle has or should have and tune from there.

Just enjoy your new found power, don't worry about this, maybe read less, unless your having problems or concerns with something not working right, this is when you'd consider data logging.
Some take this reading and thinking stuff people that really doesn't know how this works takes this way to far, if your planning on racing and something doesn't feel right then ya, maybe a data log might be a good idea.

I've only data logged twice with my Dmax when my mileage all of a sudden went to a crap to find out if something was wrong somewhere in the tuning, it wasn't, it was just our good quality fuel being down graded.
Another time trying to dial in my Yukon Denali TCM trans shifting, the efi tuner wanted to know if the octane gas I was using causing a small change in power which might be affecting the shifting.
That's what he said anyways.

That's why I'm only using his TCM tuning, with ecm tuning minumin power added the shifting was pretty firm, firmer than I liked.
In Az our premium is 91 octane, lower than where he's located dialing in his tuning.

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
Another thing to consider pretty much all EFI tuners custom tune to every vehicle, that's the reason they requested your vin number to the vehicle which makes your tuning custom tuning specifically to your truck.
They'll know what the most current updates that your vehicle has or should have and tune from there.
I disagree with this. Most tuners send you out a base tune that they've sent to multiple other trucks that have been proven to work. They make small tweaks for you tire size and for other small mods. Alot of them do the same even if you have a upgraded turbo n fueling mods then make small tweaks IF you notice something and bring it to their attention. Hardly anyone data logs any more which to me I what gets you an actual custom tune. This is one of the reasons I dont like certain tuners, and the ez lynk platform. Cause 9/10 people just load up a generic ass tune and go. With all that said, tony is one of the best tuners out there and I'm sure hes got your shit dialed in pretty well for what you're doing with it.
Also they ask for the vin to vin lock the tunes to your vehicle so you cant load it on another truck and pass around the tunes.

Reactions: DirtEmax-USMC

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
:thumb
Now this is up to the op that’s asking for advice to make his own decision.
I know about the locking part but also know the ones that I’ve used go a little farther than what your saying.
Most tuners will ask what reason are you wanting to data log, just because 'dunno; or are you having a problem.
Then after he does, if he does, then he’ll know what I’m talking about going thru all the different crap procedures that he’ll need to go thru.
Then only to be told there’s nothing to worry about, everything looks good. 0:), unless he’s actually has a problem.
I don’t care for the ez-link, and I’m also not impressed with a few of the tuners.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How to get my efi ̴dialed in”?

Thanks for the responses . I think I’m going to contact them and try to at least data log once . “You don’t know until you try “ . I’m also doing it because I’m throwing a turbo code , but but with my new tune vanes idle at 89 percent and I get up to 26 of boost

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
Thanks for the responses . I think I’m going to contact them and try to at least data log once . “You don’t know until you try “ . I’m also doing it because I’m throwing a turbo code , but but with my new tune vanes idle at 89 percent and I get up to 26 of boost
Now your doing this for a good reason, throwing turbo code, not just because.
If the vanes are only at 89% idling that's a little low IMO even with "Hiss Tunes", its obvious you didn't get "Rumble Tunes".
Is this happening on all of your tunes ? What was your max boost stock ?

Tony will probably/might look over the files first to see if he can see reasons for this happening.
When data logging make sure you find a open area where you might not get pulled over from driving like you just stolen it, or drag racing against yourself.:surprise:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now your doing this for a good reason, throwing turbo code, not just because.
If the vanes are only at 89% idling that's a little low IMO even with "Hiss Tunes", its obvious you didn't get "Rumble Tunes".
Is this happening on all of your tunes ? What was your max boost stock ?

Tony will probably/might look over the files first to see if he can see reasons for this happening.
When data logging make sure you find a open area where you might not get pulled over from driving like you just stolen it, or drag racing against yourself.[img= class=inlineimg]/forum/images/DuramaxForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png[/img]
Max boost before the tune was 23, and the vanes would idle at 80. Is it normal for a the vanes to read as zero percent (when I let off the throttle for just a second) then they go back up to 89

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And to be clear , this isn’t a tuning issue ! I have had issues with this turbo all month long . It keeps throwing p003a and p2563. So I may need a vane sensor. Just wonder if data logging could provide helpful information to figure out if my turbo is bad

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
Does your truck still have the EGR & CAT still functioning ?
I was reading on another thread that yours was still stock, except for now with tuning.
If so maybe try unplugging the EGR if they did delete tuning, if it opens under load you could loose a little boost.
That's when mine opened under heavy load monitoring EGR command on my Insight.

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
And to be clear , this isn’t a tuning issue ! I have had issues with this turbo all month long . It keeps throwing p003a and p2563. So I may need a vane sensor. Just wonder if data logging could provide helpful information to figure out if my turbo is bad
Well, now the cats out of the bag, important info not provided in the first place that would have saved mixed responses.
Did you inform Tony this when you ordered tunes ?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, now the cats out of the bag, important info not provided in the first place that would have saved mixed responses.
Did you inform Tony this when you ordered tunes ?
I did not inform him , I don’t honestly know what I was thinking . Probably should’ve figured out my turbo situation first before getting my tunes on the truck . Oh well . I may just try and replace the vane sensor and hope that fixes my issue. I kinda of wish I was more clear on the op that the issue is ridge runners problem

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
Replace the vps.

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
You really should contact R R diesel, tell them you had this issue before, the codes your pulling before and after you gots your tuning.
They need to know.
Then ask if you can do a data log and email it to them (this is the procedure that has to be followed, your NOT going to be able to read the data log) if he can possibly figure out what the problem/problems might be.
This way your not throwing $$$ at parts that might not solve your issue/issues.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts