Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for post on this issue! My 05lly started acting up last week, I pulled the code from the tuner and it said it was injector 2! I then googled the code and quickly found a YouTube vid on what to do to fix it. I proceeded and it's been fine......until today!!! I'm going to try this "ice pick" trick on her now! Thanks

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
just did this, worked perfect thanks for the info

Thanks for post on this issue! My 05lly started acting up last week, I pulled the code from the tuner and it said it was injector 2! I then googled the code and quickly found a YouTube vid on what to do to fix it. I proceeded and it's been fine......until today!!! I'm going to try this "ice pick" trick on her now! Thanks
Awesome! Glad I could help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your the Man

Its 2015 and its still happening to LLYs Its such a GREAT write up I feel its being picky to say isn't it the #2 and #7 injectors that are most likely Kaput.0
In step number 3 you just sat passenger side , nothing about driver side , Just trying to keep it perfect LOL
Thanks again:neener

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Its 2015 and its still happening to LLYs Its such a GREAT write up I feel its being picky to say isn't it the #2 and #7 injectors that are most likely Kaput.0
In step number 3 you just sat passenger side , nothing about driver side , Just trying to keep it perfect LOL
Thanks again:neener
Thanks for the feedback! Any and all input is appreciated that way it makes it that much easier for people in the future to fix their trucks.

I did some research and according to Bens website the #2 and #7 are the most vulnerable- so great find! I'm updating the post now. Thanks again for your feedback.

Reference info:
http://www.btdieselworks.com/products/injector-harness-repair-kit

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just came across this and hopefully it saves me from having to buy new injectors. My truck when I stomp on the gas will only go to 2000 RPM. Is this part of the issue. I bought my truck brand new in 04 and have never had this issue.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm not having an issue with any injectors yet, but, I think I'll utilize your wisdom and pick up that set of picks. I'm going to pick out a small piece of pine paneling to use as a platform when I perform this procedure. Probably cut it 7" x 4" x 1/4" and hold the board in the palm of my hand or on the engine and the connector on top of it to apply the pressure. It should keep me from stabbing any vital parts.

Thanks again for the great write up.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Just came across this and hopefully it saves me from having to buy new injectors. My truck when I stomp on the gas will only go to 2000 RPM. Is this part of the issue. I bought my truck brand new in 04 and have never had this issue.
Is it throwing any codes or a check engine light? Does it sound like its running on half it's cylinders?

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I'm not having an issue with any injectors yet, but, I think I'll utilize your wisdom and pick up that set of picks. I'm going to pick out a small piece of pine paneling to use as a platform when I perform this procedure. Probably cut it 7" x 4" x 1/4" and hold the board in the palm of my hand or on the engine and the connector on top of it to apply the pressure. It should keep me from stabbing any vital parts.

Thanks again for the great write up.
No worries. It's good information to know for sure. Considering you're doing it for the truck in your signature (LBZ) it's not likely for this to happen to you. This issue mostly plagued LLY trucks due to an inferior injector harness design. It's good to have one with you, nevertheless in case you're one of the lucky few. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Will the injectors that need to be ice picked, have a higher balance rate on a cold engine. I Check mine when cold and they are all around + - .05 ,then I'll check after engine has warmed up and #2-7 go up to 2 or 3.

·
Premium Member
10,678 Posts
Balance rates are inaccurate on a cold engine must be at operating temp and on stock tune.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Balance rates are inaccurate on a cold engine must be at operating temp and on stock tune.
Bingo.

Operating temp (hot) and on stock tune.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Alright I'll turn my tune down to stock and check. thanks for fast reply

·
Registered
66 Posts
Checked my rates after a stock tune drive and injector #1 was -1.3 #7 +2.6 and the rest were all good. So should I ice pick it soon or will I have time to wait till it warms up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Any suggestions on maneuvering the #2 injector plug? I can detach it but there is not much slack to spin it and poke it.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Matt- Those rates are within spec. You don't need to do anything. It's good to keep the ice pick in tou glove box in case you need to do it in the side of the road.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Any suggestions on maneuvering the #2 injector plug? I can detach it but there is not much slack to spin it and poke it.
You can try taking the wheel well liner out to get to it or cutting back some of the wire loom and electrical tape.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Reading this way late guys, but are we basically just "tightening" the pin here? DO these connections really have that bad of a pin spread issue?

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Reading this way late guys, but are we basically just "tightening" the pin here? DO these connections really have that bad of a pin spread issue?
Essentially, yes. The pins loosen over time and need to be re-crimped. It was a bad design.

·
Registered
58 Posts
What about just replacing the pins? I work for an international dealer I see this all the time but we always replace them. Or would that require replacing the harness? Do they sell an updated injector harness?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Was just talking to a shop about my bad injectors that are already out being replaced - he suggested I do the ice-pick mod while I had them all out regardless of any issues. Now I see why - thanks for this!

61 - 80 of 109 Posts