Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Banned
17,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a DIY guide to doing the 01-04 LB7 air intake heater delete! I also have some solutions for 04.5-05LLY and a grid heater delete spacer for 06-10 LBZ & LMM. You can only do this mod if you have EFI live or HP tuners because the AIH needs to be shut off.
First, go to Autozone, Checkers or Napa and get you a 01' Dodge oil drain plug. It needs to be 22mm x 1.5.

After that go home and remove your CAI (cold air intake) . Next, unplug the MAP sensor for easier access to the AIH (air intake heater). Once you find the AIH (its located on the air intake Y bride in front of the turbo) unscrew the single nut, pull the wire off and unscrew the AIH. Take the AIH out and put it aside. Take the wire and wrap the end of it up real good with electrical tape. You will not need this wire so you can tuck it away and zip tie it up to another wire.

Next, put some thread tape on your new plug and install it. Make sure it is nice and snug so you wont get a boost leak. The plug i got from Napa screwed in with a 1/2 ratchet which made it very nice and easy to install.

After you install the plug, hook everything back up and put your CAI back on. Make sure you install the MAF sensor back onto your intake to. Here is a picture of how restricting the stock AIH is.

MAKE SURE YOU TURNED OFF THE AIR INTAKE HEATER WITH EFI OR HP TUNERS!!!!! Enjoy your new unrestricted air intake pipe. I should have done this mod along time ago but i just never did it. Its finally warming up around here so i told myself to do it. Enjoy!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
224 Posts
great write up man, this is a good mod on a lbz aswell you'd say?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I did mine last year then put it back in when it started getting colder. Few more months I will be able to delete it for the summer. It seriously takes less that 5 minutes to do.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Great write-up! I know its a big restriction but is there any benefit if your truck is almost stock with only an exhaust and such or is this really for people pushing the higher hp tunes that need the added air?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great write up with pics, thanks...
Bill

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
What is the purpose of deleting the heater on the LB7's?
You free up the air flow to the intake manifold. Its about the size of a roll of quarters out of the small intake tube.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
what do you have to turn off? if i don't havea tuner what can i do? will it throw a code or what?

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
Yes you can notice a difference kinda like porting your intake horn.

Yes it will throw a code you will need EFILive to shut off the air intake heater code.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
ok thanks guess i'll be waiting on doing this tell i can get it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
What is the temp that you would have to use the heater?

·
Registered
276 Posts
intake heater

i dont want to sound dumb but what is a HP tunner? Would my diablo sport predator turn this off?

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts
i dont want to sound dumb but what is a HP tunner? Would my diablo sport predator turn this off?
HP tuners is like EFI Live.

and no, your diablo will not turn it off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great tip & pics. How cold is too cold to need to put heater back in place. I live in Willamette valley in Oregon which rarely sees temps in the 20's F, usually just stays around 30-32F when cold.

I now am getting the P0540 code. Have not done the delete yet. Ordering EFI Live soon and deleting this heater. If the relay module is throwing this code, will removing it from program with EFI Live solve this or do I need to replace the circuit if it is used for anything besides the heater?

Thanks in advance for advice.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
is it just a code you have to clear when it comes on or do you actually have to turn the heater off? i have a superchip tuner and it clears codes, so does that cover it?

1 - 20 of 124 Posts