Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did this tonight in my garage, not to horrible of a job but takes a little time

Tools i used
10mm rachet end wrench
11mm or 7/16 rachet wrench
1/2 or 13mm socket

I started by taking off the 6.6 air cover and taking of the 3 10mm bolts holding the heatshield on. Below the heat shield is one clamp that you can use 7/16 or 11mm on, i took the clamp completely off. Rachet end wrench really helps. I kept my heat shield on but others have bent them up and taken them off

pull off fender lining and take lower downpipe clamp off, along with the bolt that holds to the bracket, that is 1/2 or 13mm

next is the 2 bolts for the trans dipstick, also 1/2 or 13mm, i used 13mm rachet end wrench on the top bolt

once you got all those off just start wiggling the downpipe down and out, i found that keeping it against the frame rail and kind of pulling out while turning it side to side was best way for me( this part is a pain)

old vs new ( this unit was on another truck and the bracket broke, most new ones come w/o one now or mbrp has a beefed up one, i think its better w/o it

putting the new downpipe in is cake, it just slides right up in and wa la you are done, tighten everything up and start check for leaks, i used some simple green spray around the clamps to see if it would bubble or not

took me a couple hours but i was also checking on other things and taking my time:thumb:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Nice!! Pb blaster was my friend doing mine.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Subd. Gonna need this soon. Thanks!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was expecting to need a ton of PB and at least a 6 pack of beer, but this was a 1 beer install and bolts werent to rusted

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im pretty confident that i could do one in a hour now

Ratchet wrenches are a must! i un did the bolts holding the shield to the downpipe to, seems to help it move around more to get it slid out

·
the world famous
697 Posts
nice! gonna be doing mine soon..

·
I STILL DGAF
9,061 Posts
Ok thought so but wasn't sure. PM me a price for a custom set with my screen name in em please. Can you powder coat em?:drink

/derailing is ok when you buy shit from the op.Heyyaa

·
Registered
432 Posts
Nice write up.
Im gonna be doing mine either this weekend or next.

Ceramic coated. :thumb

·
Registered
352 Posts
holy fuck nice down pipe where did you get it from 73guna

·
Registered
432 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Tim,
Is it possible to reuse the heat shield?
Did you do this by yourself?
Did you get both bolts back in the dipstick tube?

Thanks.

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
good write up on the to do list

1 - 20 of 106 Posts