Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit... Done. This is just a very simple tow tune to get everybody started. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask me.

Also please note, this is super simple, and this is not how I make all of my tunes.

·
Banned
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Okay, first off I am going to assume everybody knows how to hook up and pull their stock tune from their truck. If not.. There is PLENTY of documentation out there on how to do it.

EDIT: The smooth button is the one that looks like a wave. You can either click it, or just press F12 with the cells selected (it will make sense if you keep reading)

·
Banned
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The first thing I like to do is disable the EGR.. To do this, you need to change the values to which the EGR operates. This is how I do it... Please note: you don't "need" to turn off the EGR... but why not?

·
Banned
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
EDIT: I didn't highlight all the cells for when I did a photo capture of the map, and I am too lazy to go do it again.. Highlight all the cells from where it starts all the way down to the bottom right of the map.

Okay.. Now we can move into adding a little boost.

Please note: Boost isn't free, and you need to compensate with fuel to keep the optimum fuel to air mixtures.

I am going to start in the Desired Boost level EGR OFF table for low altitude. Start slow, only going for 10% increase in boost right now. Start with these selected cells: note, it goes all the way down to the bottom of the chart so drag all the way down to the bottom right of the chart

Now time to increase the boost in these cells.. Like I said before, 10%.. So do do this keep the cells high lighted and type 10% in the box shown above and click the % button like so:

Note: all the cells you changed will have blue little icons in each corner of the cell. Now its time to smooth out this map.

To do this: highlight all the cells again with to extra rows and columns on each side of the cells you previously changed. like so:

·
Banned
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is the finished boost chart:

Now its time to adjust this boost map for altitude.

I am going to assume you know how to use a spreadsheet a little bit here for this step.

This table needs to be copied and pasted into the different elevation tables (medium and high elevation with EGR off Tables)

When you copy and paste them, you have to account for the differences in air density due to elevation. To account for this, copy and paste your entire desired boost EGR OFF low altitude table into the Desired Boost EGR OFF Medium altitude table and subtract 3 psi by doing the following:

^^^ This will take 3 psi off the entire table adjusting for the decrease in air density at altitude

Now copy and paste the NEW TABLE you just created and paste it into the high altitude with EGR OFF and subtract 4 from the entire table just like you just did (or 7psi from the low elevation table)

To get these numbers (the 3 and 4 psi) you just find the difference between the top left cells on each altitude's chart.

·
Banned
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Now desired boost levels are done and we can move into adjusting the vanes for a decent tow (turbo brake)

Okay going to kill two birds with one stone with this next picture. This pictures shows how to remove the "hiss" (or get a lb7 idle) and how to do a turbo brake.. Some people go from 1600rpm's and some from 1800rpm's.. So we will pick the middle ground and go from 1700-4800rpm's... Highlight all the cells and change them all to 100. This is fully closed on the vanes and adds the restriction to the exhaust like an exhaust brake.

Do this for all 3 altitude tables.. don't copy and paste, just manually change the cells.

Then go into the vane position max tables (there is 3 as well) and make the top row of cells look like this:

CAUTION: IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.. DON'T MESS WITH ANY OTHER CELLS IN HERE.. You run the risk of over spinning your turbo if you do so (if you change the max turbo vane position too)

·
Banned
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay we have our boost, our vanes.. now lets add a little fuel. To do this:

Highlight the following cells 30mm3 and 80MPa and down to the bottom right of the map. add 10% just like we did for boost.

It should look like this:

Now smooth it out the same way you did with boost with two cells and rows on each side and click the smooth button.

·
Banned
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now here is where its kind of tricky... you don't HAVE to add any timing cause we really didn't change too much to make it run a little funky... But I will show you how to anyways. Adding a little timing should make this tune run a little cooler, but I personally don't think its required
Since we are keeping this tune way simple I am only going to be adjusting the "B" table, this is the one that the truck used majority of the time...

Only going small on these tables (2 degrees should be plenty for what we added)

After you add the 2 degrees of timing smooth it out the same way you did in all the other tables.

·
Banned
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And DONE!!!! Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,687 Posts
How do I make it smoke and lope?

:rofl

I couldn't stop myself.. I honestly tried.. But I couldnt...

:rof :rof

·
Banned
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How do I make it smoke and lope?

:rofl

I couldn't stop myself.. I honestly tried.. But I couldnt...

:rof :rof
You max out every table on your truck.:D

Just multiply every table by 500%...

^^ Please nobody actually do this:rof

·
Banned
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mods... if you think this is sticky worthy go ahead.

·
Word Up
3,517 Posts
Definitely sticky worth!

With the tables that you have adjusted, is it possible to make a street tune by adjusting them and making further increases? Or is there more tables to adjust for that?

Do you always add your boost then fuel then timing in that order?

Is there an unwritten rule of thumb to go by for adding boost in relation to fuel in relation to timing when building a tune?

·
Banned
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You have to start adjusting torque tables when you make street tunes... thats a whole nother topic for a whole nother thread! lol

and it doesn't matter what order you add the things in.

·
Banned
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for doing this. It's going to help alot of people out.
No problem.. seems to be a lot of people not willing to help with EFI because they think it will cut into their business.

I am more than willing to help anybody out that I can.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Great job, for the lbz/lly guys. But no really I like it.

Any way you can start a thread about what exactly the torque tables do. And when and why to change them.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.