Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 677 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First your going to need some tools. A soldering iron, solder a good steady hand and some beer (optional). Also leds and resistors I used 5mm 360deg leds and ½ watt 330 ohm resistors. voltmeter

Next you will need to pull the cluster out and disassemble it. Start by taking the top off ( plastic window) then take the needles off I use a set off tablespoons and pry up to pop off then.

You can remove the gauge cover flip over to take the back off to get to circuit board. Take the board back to the truck and plug it in to find the hot + and the - make a mark on the + side of the lights for reference. The bulbs pop off with a little heat. After you get the bulb off put you a little solder on the two spots where the wire of the bulb was .

Get the led and resistor and the hot leg of the led solders to the resistor ( the gold strip goes closest to the led) the resistor goes to the hot side. solder the led on the board DO NOT touch the board with the iron my cause damage to circuit board. Now all you got to do is do the bulbs you are changing I left my turn signals and engine light stock.

Finally take the board to the truck and make sure the bulbs work and after that put the white plastic back on rearranging the bulbs to fit. On some leds this is where you are going to have to play with them to get the hot spots out of the gauge overlay 360 bulbs don’t have this hot spot easy to get them right the fist time.

Now put the needles back in the way they was and plug it in to the truck and make sure they are right and when you get fixed how they was put it back together and back in the truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Awesome right up! Note this is not for 01 and 02 correct?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
correct they use the push in bulbs

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Oh and I love the spoon trick!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It beats that fork that you get with some gauge kit Ive broke a few needled with it . the spoons work alot better

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
that looks sweet. nice work

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Those pictures of the board you did.....and those the new LEDs? Or are those the old ones?

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
how different are the 2008 trucks?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks

you talking bout the little blue ones off to the side?

the new body styles have leds in them dont know if you would need a resistor or not
havent done a new body style yet

·
Registered
987 Posts
wat color led's did you use? that looks great by the way!

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
thats cool man!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Crash i see you used 5mm 360deg leds and ½ watt 330 ohm resistors are the leds rated at 3V at 20mA? if so the reccomended resistor is 470 ohms....just wondering why you used the 330 ohm and if that was ok to do...i mean obviously it works because i saw the picture of your finished goods...jw because i dont want to buy the 470 ohm and have it not be bright enough for the 5mm 360s

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
used blue leds

·
Registered
81 Posts
I actually just had the light that lights up 60mph to 120mph just go out on my 2006 is it the same set up as it was for your truck and if so where do i go to get another stock bulb

·
Registered
687 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
used blue leds

sweet i just ordered 360* blue led for the truck had a couple lights go out and i hate when things arent perfect!

Reactions: astevens

·
Registered
183 Posts
I actually just had the light that lights up 60mph to 120mph just go out on my 2006 is it the same set up as it was for your truck and if so where do i go to get another stock bulb
i had that problem with my 06 last week...the same bulb... i took it apart wiggled the bulb and plugged it back in and it worked...may just be bad connection....

·
Registered
587 Posts
can you use red? leds and how hard is it to do this? cause my sodering sucks

1 - 20 of 677 Posts