Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
41 - 60 of 677 Posts

· Registered
725 Posts
Do the LEDs dim? When driving at night on secondary roads, I usually turn my dash lights down so they aren't so bright.

· Registered
498 Posts
When you pop the needles off, do you have to mark where there were or is there some sort of a keyway so they are lined up when you reinstall them?

· Registered
725 Posts
Roll them back to the far left with your finger. Then put a small piece of tape on the dash and mark either side of the needle. At least that's the instructions most here give. Search for stepper motor swap and you will find pictures others have taken while doing this. Also, the use of 2 spoons (on under either side) works extremely well when popping the needles off.

· Registered
498 Posts
Roll them back to the far left with your finger. Then put a small piece of tape on the dash and mark either side of the needle. At least that's the instructions most here give. Search for stepper motor swap and you will find pictures others have taken while doing this. Also, the use of 2 spoons (on under either side) works extremely well when popping the needles off.
Thanks, I will be ordering my LEDs today!

· Registered
1,523 Posts
Alright guys, so I am wanting to do this, not sure if the 4led 90 degree lights will work, or if I need to get the 5led 360 degree lights, any opinions? Also I have an 01' so I will be getting 194 style LEDs

there is also a 6 and 9 led 194 style wedge that looks promising.

· Registered
1,021 Posts
Do the LEDs dim? When driving at night on secondary roads, I usually turn my dash lights down so they aren't so bright.
they will still dim

When you pop the needles off, do you have to mark where there were or is there some sort of a keyway so they are lined up when you reinstall them?
i left the needles off til i plugged the cluster back in the truck and the stepper motors reset themselves when you turn the key on and this is when i placed the needles back on at their lowest point. its actually dead on with my gps speed now before it was 2 mph faster!

Alright guys, so I am wanting to do this, not sure if the 4led 90 degree lights will work, or if I need to get the 5led 360 degree lights, any opinions? Also I have an 01' so I will be getting 194 style LEDs

there is also a 6 and 9 led 194 style wedge that looks promising.

i would reccomend the 5 led bulbs for the 360* view. you dont want to buy the 4 led bulbs and wish you wouldve went with the 5 because there are dark spots...

· Registered
1,523 Posts
i would reccomend the 5 led bulbs for the 360* view. you dont want to buy the 4 led bulbs and wish you wouldve went with the 5 because there are dark spots...
True but the 5 led lamp only has one bulb pointed up, while the other are radial outwards, the 4 6 ad 9 led lamp have them all facing up. Thoughts?

· Registered
1,021 Posts
def get one that has an led facing up! you will want the 360* view. it should eliminate hotspots too!

· Registered
1,523 Posts
Ok, thanks guys. Looks like i will have a small project coming up, i am gonna try to do all my dash lights as well.

· Registered
9 Posts
why do you need the 330 ohm resistors

they are leds from factory in my 04 i would guest like a diff color. :confused:

· Registered
624 Posts
i'm gonna be doin this soon. looks sick

· Registered
591 Posts
so how do you do the lights in the switchs? i bought 30 red 360 5mm leds. has anyone does the switchs and if so do you have pics and info cause i dont wanna break all the switchs

· Registered
1,021 Posts
i have not done the switches but i believe you need the 3mm led's but im not sure. they must be small to fit under the switch. i will find out when i take the door panels off.

· Registered
2,847 Posts
crash did you get my message?

· Registered
61 Posts
hpr,
you need to step down the voltage to the LED to "equalize" it thru the whole circuit. otherwise they go snap, and you release the entrapped blue smoke that is contained in all electronics.
look here. a good, easy explination of how leds work.

LED Circuitry tutorial: how to hook up LEDs.

(Crash, didn't intend to hijack thread, justs helping a guy out) thanks for your work and help...

· Registered
591 Posts
ok isent there already LEDS in the cluster? so why do we need to add the resistors if all were doign is replacing the current LEDS with others?

· Registered
1,523 Posts
ok isent there already LEDS in the cluster? so why do we need to add the resistors if all were doign is replacing the current LEDS with others?
No, they are standard incandescent bulbs, at least on the older trucks, similar to the bulb in your closet, just with a lower power rating. Anyway, the bulbs in the dash are built to run on the trucks 12-14 volt power source, the led's, depending on the type, are not. Putting a resistor in series with each of the led's, depending on the resistance (1/conductance) will lower the voltage applied to the diode itself. However, there are led's built to run at 12v, the ones that people are buying will perform better, and last longer at a lower voltage. Hope that helps.

· Registered
591 Posts
ok does anyone have a close up pic of a led installed? cause i wanna do mine this weekend i got everything but i want more info to go off of

41 - 60 of 677 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.