Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How To: LML NickTane Cat Fuel Filter Adapter

Hey Everyone,

i installed my nicktane cat fuel filter adapter and filter this weekend, and with a little help from the forum and a phone call to Troll Performance Tuning i got it sorted out!

i didnt read the instructions because thats the kind of person i am on something that looks pretty easy to do, and in doing so i started second guessing myself until a few "realizations" came to me!

i purchased this kit through Mad Jack Diesel and it arrived pretty quick!

For late night customer service i hit up the people @ Troll Performance Tuning (where i bought all my other performance mods) for a few trouble shooting questions i was having while priming the truck, and they got me squared away!

ok for tools you will need (IIRC)

7mm socket (for the inner fender)
flat head screw driver (for the plastic inner fender poppers)
nice size (big) flat head for the plastic bleeder screw
12mm wrench (iirc) for the filter head bolts
and in my case a 13mm socket for the lower valance/intake tube bolts
torque #20 for the ball and spring deal
small allen wrench, to turn the adapter onto the housing

also it wouldnt hurt to get a few of the strap wrenches from lowes, because the standard car/light truck oil wrenches wont work, or at least the ones i have didnt so today i'll be stopping by lowes and getting a few......it doesnt leak but im only so strong to tighten this filter onto the adapter!....a little bump with the new wrench wont hurt!!

alright here goes:

first you remove the inner fender bolts and plastic snap deals
inner fender.JPG

inner fender 2.jpg

then in my case i had to take out the bolts that hold the S&B intake scoop to the bottom of the valance
loqwe valance.JPG

hello intake scoop
intake scoop.JPG

hello downpipe
hello downpipe.JPG

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
here is a shot of the OEM filter about to get removed
oem filter.JPG

here was a plastic pan i was using to drain out "what i could" diesel from the filter
draining OEM filter.JPG

anyone see the junk in there?!!
raw diesel.JPG

more junk!
raw diesel 2.JPG

here is a picture of the WIF (water in fuel) sensor that was unplugged and thrown on the shelf (can be removed with channel locks or big crescent)
wif sensor.JPG

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
once you unscrew the OEM filter you need to remove the 2 small screws (with your torque #20) that hold the black deal up, and once you take that off you need to save the little oring behind it, and once you remove the check ball and spring you can put it back up after making sure the tiny oring is seated correctly
ball and spring out.JPG

all removed, that small oring doesnt go up all the way to the base of the housing, there is a small "cut" on the bottom that it rests on, dont try to force it all the way up or you could possibly break it

filter head oring.JPG

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
once you put the small oring back on you will need to lube up the Oring on the CAT Adapter, they say to use a small bit of grease so i had some in a tube and used a very small dab to go around and around on the oring

and here it is installed, it has holes all around it and all it needs is a nice small allen wrench to turn it, pretty good idea!!!

filter adapter installed.JPG

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
so here's what you run into when you do this install that made me start wanting to read the directions

that small aluminum bracket that holds the "fuel head" up is kinda sharp at the bottom where the filter will actually rest next too, and if you dont space it, it wont screw on.

of course i didnt read that and i was a little curious why they sent me this spacer below, until i got up on my step ladder and pulled the intake tube out (makes it so much easier to work on) and saw what i needed to do

now, in my head when i was messing with the provided spacer i quickly realize the bolts they provide arent going to work, they are actually shorter than the OEM ones installed

and IMO i felt the spacer was too thick, Some people might think different about that, but i opted not to use it, and i used small washers instead so i didnt have to space it out so far! I just wanted to make sure there was plenty of threads grabbing!

madjack spacer and bolt.JPG

here is the priming button, it is your friend! The bleeder is the black screw on the left of it, Also that black tube going across, you have to remove that bolt (forgot what size) so you can either push it forward or pull it back, and space the head out that way
priming button.JPG

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
in my case i didnt even notice the plastic bleeder screw on the left.

i did make sure the fuel went through the adapter before putting the filter on.

here is a picture of the filter mounted, and it does not rub up against the bracket right behind it

i started out with just 3 washers per bolt but i ended up going to 4 washers per bolt just to be safe.

i think for everyone it would be a good idea to run some thick paper or something you feel is adequate enough room between the bracket and the filter to make sure it doesnt rub while the truck is running

adapter with filter.JPG

here is my spacing job (took after the intake tube was back on)
fuel head spaced out.jpg

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the issues i had at the end were all priming issues

the last fuel filter i changed was on a 98 police interceptor (personal car) but never on a diesel. I would prime and prime until the button got hard and i would go try to crank it, and no go, and then i would go prime again and try once more and nothing

so before i blew anything up i called TPT to see whats up?! They told me to crack open the plastic bleeder screw with an appropriately size flat head because being that its plastic it will strip out! So i did that, and once diesel was flowing out i closed it back up

so i primed it, and still nothing. He told me the best thing to do (which it worked perfectly) was to have the wife come outside and crank the truck while i kept hitting the prime button. SUCCESS! i sat up there on top of my step stool and with the flat head i pushed down and down and down until finally it fired up. Great Advice!

so thats pretty much my version of a write up. I started the truck several times on sunday to check for leaks and still everything starts up fine, i will however go to lowes today and buy a few of those strap wrenches and just make sure the filter is on there nice and tight, along with the filter adapter

enjoy!

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Yeh Thanks, I got my nicktane with no directions.I could have probly made it through it but I work best with pics.Lol

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
here is a picture of the strap wrench set from the local auto parts store

the big one opens up to 6 1/2"!!!!!! perfect!!!!!

not bad for $10! once i get home today i will give it some clockwise pressure and make sure everything is nice and tight! Not a bad addition to anyones tool assortment!

IMG_3646.jpg

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeh Thanks, I got my nicktane with no directions.I could have probly made it through it but I work best with pics.Lol
when are you putting it on?

i think priming it took longer than the actual install! :cookoo[1]: :rofl

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
when are you putting it on?

i think priming it took longer than the actual install! :cookoo[1]: :rofl
Gonna get my Fass and fuel sump on thursday,I might do it then since the fuel system will be opened up ,and saturday on other delete's I care not to mention.

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
New strap wrench worked like a charm!

I got some turn out of it so I'm glad I bought one!

cat.JPG

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
I'll have to check around for one of them.

·
Registered
657 Posts
great write up jwc! might have to invest in one myself!

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks!

When I say its a good idea to have that strap wrench I mean it

Just look at the picture in post 6 then look at the picture in post 14

The cat emblem is on the other side!....... Guess I need to work out!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm new to diesels so bear with me...

What's the benefit of the CAT filter? Does it provide better filtration versus stock or were you due for a filter change?

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm new to diesels so bear with me...

What's the benefit of the CAT filter? Does it provide better filtration versus stock or were you due for a filter change?
my DIC was telling me i was @ 60% (17000 miles) for the fuel filter, so since i was going to change it over to the nicktane adapter anyway i thought it wouldnt hurt to go ahead and do it, especaiily since i dont know much about scheduled mantenance and what the correct mileage intervals were so in my head i'll just change it out ever 10-15k miles (not a big deal for as cheap as they are and as little as i drive the truck). From what i hear it gives better filtration, someone else chime in if you have heard different?!!

im still eventually going to get an AD2 or Fass lift pump but when i do it, i will ge the sump too so that will drive the cost up and right now for the cost of 2 filters and the adapter i'll be ok for a while, for some people they dont like to run the adapter and will just delete the filter head completely but if it doesnt slow down anything i'll just keep it for a back up filteration system.., know what i mean!!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Great write up jwc thanks.

1 - 20 of 213 Posts