Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My (new to me) 2005 ccsb 4x4. Trying to get the spare tire lowered so I can install 5th wheel hitch. Cable comes down, but the tire only comes down a little bit. Something is holding the tire up. Man, this would be real serious if I had a flat in the boonies!!! What is the secret to getting the spare down????
Bill

·
Registered
358 Posts
If the cable's down, did you try kicking the tire to see if it'll dislodge?

·
Banned
1,104 Posts
Two threads isn't going to get you any more answers. I would kick the SOB like was stated on the other thread.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah! I've kicked it, jacked it up, cranked it up & down, etc. My tire guys laughed at me & said it was easy, until they spent an hour & gave up. They said it was a Dealer item. The dealer went thru the same thing & then said I needed to bring it in Monday AM, cause the guy who knows already went home. I figure someone here knows how to release the secondary latch dealie, or how to remove the mechanism. Man this would be serious if U had a flat.

·
Reign in Blood
4,553 Posts
cutoff wheel

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, I didn't know where to post. I am really frustrated. Kicking it is a real technical answer, but that didn't work.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, the video helps a little. I read all this mickey mouse stuff. Balancing a bottle jack?? come on, that is a sure fire way to lose a couple of teeth. I will try setting the bottle jack on my floor jack.
Anybody ever actually see the secondary latch mechanism? How does it work?

·
Registered
321 Posts
There is a secondary safety type latch on it. If the spare isn't dropped on a somewhat regular basis it freezes up and the spare won't drop.
You will have to lower it as much as you can, then above the spare, you will see a square box with a plastic cover on it. You will have to pry the plastic cover open, then try to use a screw driver or small flat bar to push the latch in to release the spare and let it drop.
There isn't much room up there so it will be a big pain in the ass!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I can feel the box I tell it has a rubber like cover, but that is all in Braille, if you know what I mean. I know about the PITA already!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Doesn't the manual have a section on how it's supposed to release? I seem to remember you have to wind it clockwise a few times before lowering. Otherwise it sounds like maybe something in the winch system is seized...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, it is called a "secondary latch" but the described procedure on page 5-110 doesn't work. Even the Chevy dealer couldn't make it work (they didn't even know what was in the manual). The thing must be seized. Maybe some partsblaster will help. In the morning. Whiskey & sleep tonight. Tomorrow is another day.
Thanks Pat H for the help.
Bill

·
Registered
676 Posts
This is the biggest POS system, it has a secondary latch that never works. even after you get it down and soak it with penetrating oil it still won't work. you'll have to get a pry bar or something above the tire and push in the latch. It is a serious pain in the ass, I ground the ear off after the second time and it works perfect now.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've never had a problem with my spares, I don't think I even took it down on my 07 the whole time I owned the truck, but on a friend's 91 GMC 2500 it took a lot of work to get his spare off because the truck had a lot of rust and it seized the whole winch system. Ended up taking the bed off and cutting it from above if I remember it right...

Good luck with it...it's definitely one of those things where you just have to look it it from different angles and figure out a way short of torching the truck around it.

·
Banned
1,104 Posts

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Just cut the wire.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I cut my 2nd latch off once I got it down. I went with long bar and hammer with cable holding tire. I was able to get bar on the latch and drive it closed to let tire down.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
1 - 20 of 58 Posts