Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
So ive use this site a lot and now have found a way to do something and want to share. If I shouldn't do this please let me know I have found a way and it works and by no means am an expert. So I got the tow mirrors for my truck with the LEDs on the outside and wanted to make them runners as well, after reading countless ways of doing this, I found what seems to be a way to do this without The need to build a circuit board or install relays, just use what chevy gave you.. Hear me out, the lower front lights the small outside bulb does what we want. Its a runner and when turning it flashes, I just tapped into the green wire (controlled +) and ran it into the cab then into the door. From there I found the wire coming from the mirror on the same side that worked the lights cut don't split this wire ( leave some slack so if you ever want to uninstall you can rewire it to the OEM plug) you will have to do this for both sides of the truck but it seems to be the most simplistic way of doing this.. I have not had any problems with this and because the mirror has LEDs it doesn't seem to dim the host bulb nor have any fuses popped. I hope this helps
How exactly does this work? This is EXACTLY what I was my Front facing lights on my mirrors to do. Full brightness with parking lights and the flash with turn signal. I thought that front marker would be ground side switch to accomplish that but when I probed it my mind was blown. I don't understand to much electrical. Please help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
So has any one successfully accomplished running lights on 07-14? Don't see any tutorial anywhere. I am dying to get this done to my truck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I have a new to me 2013 that I am trying to do this mod to. It worked great on the bench with the diodes and resistor in place but is not working in the truck. I tied my running lights into the distribution block in the dash by the passenger side door but the running lights will not turn on. The blinkers work fine (on front and back of the mirror) I am thinking that I have a ground issue. The running lights share the blinker ground. I have heard that gm may have the blinker ground setup to "blink" as well but not sure that it true. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Jbatliner, Wiskytango. Maybe this will help. I just put the new 2015+ tow mirrors on my 2013. At first I used the diodes and 350 resisters to feed the amber lights so they functioned as marker mights as well. When I put the power to them nothing happened. With the parking lights on I hit the blinker and the amber lights blinked bright to dim but wouldn't stay dim when I turned off the blinker. Long story short, after drinking a few more Colorado koolaids I said F it and and I spliced in a ground wire from the amber light ground and ran into the door and grounded it to one of the studs that bolt the mirror to the truck. I turned the parking lights back on and that was the problem, I had to ground the ambers to make them dual function. They work perfect now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you Turbo_Drive. Sounds like I will be opening up my mirrors again this weekend to get a reliable ground source. I am thinking that I will put a tester on the other grounds in the harness (Possibly the one for the heat function as it is right there.) and hopefully use an existing wire. If that does not work I will run a new ground. Thanks again!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you Turbo_Drive. Sounds like I will be opening up my mirrors again this weekend to get a reliable ground source. I am thinking that I will put a tester on the other grounds in the harness (Possibly the one for the heat function as it is right there.) and hopefully use an existing wire. If that does not work I will run a new ground. Thanks again!
No problem bud, good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ran mine to the ground I had for the little reverse lights, worked fine

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Turbo_Drive, by splicing into the "amber light ground" are you talking about the turn signal ground wire that the front amber light shares with?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Bump

Do any of you make/sell the 4: 3 amp 200 piv diodes and 2: 68 ohm resistors all assembled as how bsul92 shows in his Youtube video. Ive never been great with this sort of stuff, installing these if they are already properly assembled will be easy for me, but when it comes to ohms/diodes id rather have someone more experienced than me handle this.

If you do, message me please, would like to install this on my 05

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Subbed for later. But I think my eBay mirrors have different wiring? Has anyone run into the same problem?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Tried to pull apart my ebay cheapiest, ended up breaking a mirror.... :frown2: So i ordered some Boostautoparts prewired dual function mirrors, priced reasonable and quick shipping. Thinking next week ill get to mounting them up.

·
Registered
817 Posts
the wire you showed in your video on my ebay mirrors is grey. mine also have the mirror side signal. If I do this are my mirror arrow lights going to come on as markers as well?

·
Registered
43 Posts
In this tutorial, you will learn how to make the signal leds in your mirrors dual function as running lights and blinkers. This will work on any 03-06 mirror with a signal. It is geared towards aftermarket tow mirrors with the amber Leds on the side. It will work n mirrors with red arrows, however i advise against that.

This tutorial is for 2003-2006. If enough people want, i will do one on 2007-2013 as it is a different procedure. What you're going to need:

4: 3 amp 200 piv diodes (radioshack)
2: 68 ohm resistors (radioshack)
Screwdriver
Solder/Solder Iron
Wire Strippers AND Wire Cutters (For cutting hard to reach wireties)
Electrical Tape
Wire Ties
Socket Wrench with 6" Extension
9/32 Bit & Torx T20 (For removing Door panel)
10MM Socket (For Removing Mirror)
15' Wire (16 Gauge is fine)

Ok first thing youll need to do is remove the door panel. 1AAuto Made a great video of that if you dont know how.
How To Install Replace Remove a Door Panel Chevy Silverado GMC Sierra 03-06 1AAuto.com - YouTube

On your mirror hatness, there should be two plugs, One black and one blue. We will need to tap into the Blue/White wire in the Blue plug.

Step 1: Solder a diode in line on the blue wire.

Step 2: Solder a diode in so it goes the same way as the other diode, but meets the blue/white wire after the first diode. (I know this is hard to explain, see wiring diagram for details)

Step 3: Solder a 68 ohm 1/2 watt resistor in on the front side of the diode in step 2.

Step 4: Tap into the front left parking light wire, run a wire into the cab and into both doors. It will connect to the 68 ohm resistor.

Wiring Tap Diagram:

Here is a detailed video showing where i tapped and where i ran wires.
GM Towing Mirror Mod (Running/Blinker Dual Function) - YouTube

It is really simple to do, and it looks great on the truck. Mine have been on for about a week, and 5 people have stopped me and ask how i did it. So im sure this will be of use to some people. Heyyaa
Did you do a writeup for 2007-2013 models?

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is fantastic!
I love the idea of wiring in the diode at the plug in at window switch, instead of prying off the mirror glass and stuffing it in there.
I have a snag though.
I am putting 2015+ mirrors on my 2006.
What color wire do I add in the diodes? I don't have a blue with white tracer wire in the blue plug in. If nobody knows what color wire to use, how about which pin position I should use?
For those of you who pulled the running light signal off of the window switch, which wire did you tap into? I don't want to run a wire all the way to the fuse block under the hood to find a running light. I probed all the fuses on the left of the dash inside the cab, and none of them come on just with the running lights.

·
Registered
55 Posts
anyone? Going to start this project tonight.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts