Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The purpose for the PCV Reroute is to keep oil & crud from entering the Turbo, Boost Tube & Intercooler.

Precautions;
PCV Reroute is not emissions approved. It’s not OEM or dealer approved.
Do Not use Heater Hose, is does not stand up to PCV, over time.
Stainless Braided Hose causes more chafing problems then its worth.
Do Not use 2” plastic test plug, they can crack & FOD out the Turbo.
Barstool feet belong on barstools not on a Duramax.

Note- If I had an extra $200 I would buy an AFE MP & TIG Weld the ports shut.

Parts List; (Qty.) Vendor
1. Oil Catch Can (1) Jegs or e-bay
2. ½” Gates Push-Lock Fuel Line (10’) Jegs
3. ½” Push-Lock Tee Fitting (1) Jegs
4. 90* AN -8 Push-Lock Fittings (2) Jegs
5. Str. AN -8 Push-Lock Fitting (1) Jegs
6. Str. AN -8 / ½” NPT Fitting (1) Jegs
7. 2.0” Cap & Hose Clamp (optional) (1) Home Depot
8. 1.0” Cap & Hose Clamp (1)
9. S/S PCV to AN -8 fittings (2) SPI Performance http://www.spi-performance.com/diesel.htm
10. Reuse PCV Fitting O-Rings (2) NAPA

Instructions;
1. Mount Oil Catch Can to aft side of RH FWD Cab Mount.
2. Remove Turbo Resonator.
3. Install 1.0” Cap & 2.0” Cap on Turbo MP.
4. Remove Top LH Boost Tube Coupler.
5. Remove (2) 10mm bolts from valve covers that secure PCV Tube & hose clamp from Turbo MP.
6. Swap (or replace) O-Rings from old PCV fittings to new fittings.
7. Install SPI PCV Fittings in valve covers.
8. Install 90* AN-8 Fitting & Hose on LH SPI PCV Fitting. Run hose along AC Hose to RH side& secure with adel clamps or ty-wraps.
9. Install Str. AN-8 Fitting & about 8” hose to RH SPI PCV Fitting.
10. Install 90* AN-8 Fitting & hose on Oil Catch Can. Run hose along RH Fender Liner.
11. Install Tee Fitting between hoses for LH, RH & Catch Can.

Attachments

· Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Yes, I know there are a dozen other PCV Reroute write ups & it can be done cheaper but most look like crap.

· Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Tee Fitting on RH side.
Oil Catch Can mounted to RH FWD Cab Mount.

Attachments

· Registered
682 Posts
I like your set up. ? the first pic what fittings are those ( #9 ) on the list ? and were did you get them, SPI Performance ?.

· Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

· Registered
682 Posts
Did not see them on the site, Under what list?

· Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know if he has them on the website yet, it's new. You have to call him.

· Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cost was roughly $150 for everything. SPI Fittings were $70 including shipping. I got the Catch Can from a NASCAR Team on e-bay for $40.

· Premium Member
18,259 Posts
Side benefit to the PVC reroute is that the engine stays a lot cleaner, of course after you clean it.

If you have to have a regular emission inspection, be sure that you can change back to stock, before the inspection.

· Registered
1,080 Posts
looks nice but still a passive (vice active) flow system the purpose of the pcv system is to catch fumes from boiled off water, fuel and other contaminants and route them to the combustion chamber....what i would do is rig a oil seperator between the valve covers and the turbo mouth piece......to ensure a active airflow as gm designed and therefore active clearing of the contaminants.....the seperator would ensure no oil makes it to the mp/turbo/intake and therefore nothing for the soot to stick to

my $0.02 Canadian

· Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I agree with you to a point, but I'm not losing any sleep over it.
Normal engine blow-by & positive case pressure should be enough to vent vapors out the PCV since it is the point of least resistance.
Even the stock configuration will only remove vapors. Boiled water will still vent out the PCV as steam/ vapors. I also think the oil will probably drain back into the engine from the Tee-Fitting the way it's set up now.
After taking everything apart & looking at the amount of oil in the boost tube. I think the turbo might have been creating too much suction.

I thought about doing an oil seperator but it would have required a lot more work to route it back to the MP. If I see a problem with this setup I can modify it later. Take the filter off the top of catch can, weld a fitting in it's place & run it back to the MP.

I also considered welding a jet-pump fitting in the exhaust pipe instead of using a catch can but again that's alot more work.

· Registered
47 Posts
any reason why you couldnt just tap into the hose that goes into the mouthpiece? all those stock hoses are rubber and im sure they will flex. then youre only buying one fitting, one piece of hose and whatever catchcan you want...IMO

· Registered
47 Posts
and a little more inconspicuous so the emission nazis wont question. lol

· Registered
128 Posts
yeah i mentioned doing this to my father and he told me i would probably end up with engine oil leaks.
the pcv pulls a vacuum on the crankcase and helps keep crankcase pressure down.

but im a diesel/heavy equipment mechanic. and tons of cummins engines have just a crankcase breather tube hanging down, open to the atmosphere.

· Registered
353 Posts
were do you get the pcv fittings that go into valve covers. i cant find a place that sells them

thanks

· Registered
97 Posts
Crusher Quote...I also considered welding a jet-pump fitting in the exhaust pipe instead of using a catch can but again that's alot more work.

Nice post Crusher... I'm doing head gaskets right now and noticed too much oil in boost tubes to ignore this problem... Some of your ideas and mine should fix the problem. I was kinda thinking about heading the fumes to the exhaust. I saw one setup I did not like...he had the catch can with the filter in the engine bay so he is breathing in all the fumes that come out of the engine through his (and hers) hvac vents. Yuck!

· Registered
716 Posts
i just did the pcv reroute is it ok if the line coming out of the 90 elbow goes up a lil over the ac line the down ? its ok to have a lil up hill in it not much tho?

thx

· Registered
97 Posts
[QUOTE=LostScout...looks nice but still a passive (vice active) flow system the purpose of the pcv system is to catch fumes from boiled off water, fuel and other contaminants and route them to the combustion chamber....what i would do is rig a oil seperator between the valve covers and the turbo mouth piece......to ensure a active airflow as gm designed and therefore active clearing of the contaminants.....the seperator would ensure no oil makes it to the mp/turbo/intake...

Lost scout has a good point too; that the pcv should be setup as designed with the addition of an oil separater. I'll see what I can come up with using some of Crusher's tips and maybe take some pics to post.... Don't hold your breath though; this could take awhile but a vacuum on the engine would help hold back some oil leaks... By the way Lost Scout you live in Canada which is North of Minneapolis MN if that helps at all.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.