Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I just got a new tune on my truck and im getting some turbo bark when im letting off the throttle. I was just wondering what i can do to help prevent it. Is a BOV possible? or would that even do anything?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
what kind of tune? how bad of a bark under WOT? and left off?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Is a bark bad? I think it sounds awesome!

·
Registered
218 Posts
huh, news to me. does it loosen the turbo veins or what??

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
Wide open when i let off quickly its pretty loud. But its a tune from HP Tuner, around 200horse tune
Don't let off fast you need to ease off the throttle. even a 50hp tune you can bark the turbo if you go from WOT to nothing.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Wide open when i let off quickly its pretty loud. But its a tune from HP Tuner, around 200horse tune
hope you set aside money for a tranny runnig that tune

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
I have barked the turbo going from WOT to half throttle on my pulling/drag tune.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hope you set aside money for a tranny runnig that tune
No i dont actually. Its not gonna stay on it, i didnt have time to get a safer tune set up. But i mean ill be getting a safe tune on it this weekend

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
yeah, thats your turbo going from like 100,000rpm in one direction to many many thousand rpms in the OPPOSITE direction in like half a second. VERY VERY Bad for your turbo. Only way to permanently prevent it is with a blow off valve. But the only one out there is the BD BOV and it's like $600+

In the mean time, just let out of the throttle SLOWLY. Otherwise you'll have 25+psi of boost spinning your turbo in the opposite direction when you let off the throttle. Won't take too much of that abuse to break the turbo shaft, then you're really screwed.

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
In the mean time, just let out of the throttle SLOWLY. Otherwise you'll have 25+psi of boost spinning your turbo in the opposite direction when you let off the throttle. Won't take too much of that abuse to break the turbo shaft, then you're really screwed.
I see that as an opportunity to upgrade Jesse. :drink

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
lol i herd a duramax make the bark like the first video and it crack his compressor housing..sounds like trouble..also sounds cool in a way. but i am running around 185 and i can go from wot to nothing and it doesnt bark at all it will only bark if i hold the break like a boosted launch and not take off but left off the throttle fast.. i didnt know it was bad until DGKPOWR sent me a pic of his "bark mark"

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
lol i herd a duramax make the bark like the first video and it crack his compressor housing..sounds like trouble..also sounds cool in a way. but i am running around 185 and i can go from wot to nothing and it doesnt bark at all it will only bark if i hold the break like a boosted launch and not take off but left off the throttle fast.. i didnt know it was bad until DGKPOWR sent me a pic of his "bark mark"
Well its harder to bark a VVT turbo.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
why is that? and idk if it was vvt or not.

·
Registered
987 Posts
my truck will bark the turbo like the second video but only in the cold weather if the engine is not up to temp. so i just let it warm up to operating temp and she's good

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
why is that? and idk if it was vvt or not.
You have a VVT turbo. The LB7 turbo is the only one in the duramax line that has a wastegate on the turbo. Every Duramax after that has been a VVT.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Is that why it is the only gen that cant sound like a jet at idle?

1 - 20 of 219 Posts