Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am wondering if any of you have tips or tricks to reduce road noise? like where to add sound dampening stuff or any other ideas. i have an 08 crew cab... and i know i could buy other tires but my work requires me off road lots

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Unless you're going to dynamat the whole cab, then yeah, tires

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
BTW, what are you running for tires? I know my Duratracs are noisey but the Cooper ST max I had on my prior duramax were quieter and just as good..

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
https://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/trail-grappler-mud-terrain-light-truck-tire/
When your looking for tires always research, so your better prepared on what to expect.
Nitto Trail Grapplers show that quietness is not one of the better performance ratings.
Pretty much all Mud terrain tires are noisy, Trail Grapplers are mud terrain.
Nitto Terra Grapler, Terra Grappler G2 and Ridge Grapplers, I’ve had all 3 all 3 are very quiet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
https://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/trail-grappler-mud-terrain-light-truck-tire/
When your looking for tires always research, so your better prepared on what to expect.
Nitto Trail Grapplers show that quietness is not one of the better performance ratings.
Pretty much all Mud terrain tires are noisy, Trail Grapplers are mud terrain.
Nitto Terra Grapler, Terra Grappler G2 and Ridge Grapplers, I’ve had all 3 all 3 are very quiet.
Good to know thanks man!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
like where to add sound dampening stuff or any other ideas
A good set of ear buds? :teehee

I've found a lot of intrusion from the cab vents behind the rear seat. Calmed it down some with a folded moving blanket stretched across behind the seat.
Cheap add.

But I think the LMM cab has a cluster of spots needing some help. All of the doors need help, that's easier to address than a full cab eviction and matting.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
i am wondering if any of you have tips or tricks to reduce road noise? like where to add sound dampening stuff or any other ideas. i have an 08 crew cab... and i know i could buy other tires but my work requires me off road lots

for what your trying to eliminate dynapad would likely work better than dynamat but yea, the only way to reduce road noise i am aware of without changing components on the vehicle is to either make the audio system louder or to add sound damping to the truck, in particular, the floors, doors firewall and rear wall of the truck, with the floors and doors being the highest priority. Dynamat is designed to be a heavy material that adds mass to a part to lower its resonant frequency below what we can hear as humans. This works great for keeping trunk lids from buzzing with a sub, and it does reduce road noise t osome degree, but a nice closed cell foam like dynapad is better at reducing road noise and its a lot lighter.

Thank you buddy, stripping the entire interior of my truck is too much for my bad choice of tires, but i got a 57 pontiac that will be getting this treatment!
in that case, your options are to turn the radio up.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I dynamated the entire interior of my truck, except the roof (will get to it some day). I also put dynaliner down on the floor. Big difference in reducing road noise. Was a bit of a pain to do - pulled all the seats, door cards, rear wall cover, center console, A, B & C pillar covers. While I had it apart I upgraded the stereo speakers and put a Pioneer subwoofer in place of the factory sub. A few pictures are at www.paauto.weebly.com

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Depending on where you gots your tires from and how long ago, it’s possible if you let them know that your disappointed and if the sales guy suggested these tires, they might swap them out for something different.
It never hurts to ask.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.