Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These pics are with an LB7/LLY/LBZ.
GM part #15909827 (about $150 at this writing)

Remove the inner fender liner on the driver's side for access. Loosen clamps on the hot side CAC pipe couplers and remove. Remove drive belt from the PS pump.

You'll need a puller to remove the pulley AND reinstall it on the new pump. Most auto parts stores will either loan or rent the puller.

There are 5 bolts holding the pump on; 3 in the front (item 5 below, 1st pic), and 2 bolts (item 9) on the back (hence the liner removal).

Remove the two low pressure return hoses (items 1&9-2nd pic). Leave the one (item 7-2nd pic) High Pressure line going to the hydro-boost attached to the PS pump, remove other end from the HB unit.

With the pump off, Remove the mount (item 4-1st pic) on the front of the pump (3 bolts, item 7-1st pic) and xfer to new pump.

When you go to install the new pump, start the threads on that one HP line, leaving it loose, and snake it thru to the HB unit as you drop the PS pump back in. (It鈥檚 almost impossible to get those threads started with the pump installed....much easier to start the threads with the pump out).

Be careful with the ends of that HP line, as it seals with an O-ring (item 3) that is not available except with a new HP line.

When you go to bolt up, you're 1st thought will be to start with the top bolt in the front (item 5) and let it hang.
Wrong, the other bolts won't line up to start the threads. Start with the middle/2nd bolt hole as a pivot point, then install the top and bottom 2nd and 3rd bolt.
Move to the rear and install those 2 smaller bolts. Tighten HP line fitting that you left loose at the pump, install/tighten end at HB unit.

Press pulley back on, hang drive belt back, fill reservoir with fluid, no bleed/priming needed.

Since you are going to have all of that pulled apart, I HIGHLY suggest you install a PS fluid cooler to the mix. <This will save so much future torment and $$s lost, prolonging life of the pump, HB, and the two HP lines that seem to chronically leak.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/diy-tech-discussion/205850-how-add-power-steering-fluid-cooler.html
With this ^addition, the system will work fine with off-the-shelf dino PS fluid.

Not a fan of cheap remans and certainly nothing by Cardone.
Hate doing it twice, or thrice.
OE new part is 15909827...new has no core charge....not that much $$ difference vs a Reman w/core charge.

Premium Member
Sub'd for future reference (I will need it sooner or later)

Registered
Even though I did this recently, subbed to have it in the archive. I also added the GM PS cooler, looking forward to seeing the fluid after a year of use.

Premium Member
Note-- It takes a special puller to remove and install the power steering pump drive pully-!!

Premium Member
With performing the above procedure, was it nesc to remove the upper fan shroud? OR is there enough room to pull the pulley

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
There's enough room.
I will say tho.....getting those 3 front bolts back on does it's damage on the hands' skin.
But it's much lessened if you don't have to go thru the trials I did, and start with that center bolt 1st, and not the top bolt.

Registered
tackling this on Saturday with a buddy. Looks easy enough as long as I can get the tensioner loose with the LBZ's fan shroud intact. Seems like it'll double the time for the job if I have to start pulling that shroud like I did to replace the tensioner...

But given that I already did all the hoses last June, I think I'm familiar enough with the area (just pulling the pulley will feel new). Also, having added a cooler and had a new steering box installed last march, it'll just be the HB left...hoping that guy holds out a while, it's not cheap and I want to get a canopy someday.

Registered
Went well. Buddy was there for 2 hours, took another hour to reassemble, then one more to good and test drive.

Pulling the air box and pipe from the intercooler have me room to get a breaker bar on the tensioner.

Note: don't be dumb like me and put the pulley on the new pump before moving the bracket. But now I'm good with the puller/installer :l

I find it ok to get the hp hose started with my arm by the battery.

Keith
07 classic silvy. 2500HD LBZ, CCSB, 4x4

Registered
No more droning/whining sound (was most audible between 1000 and 1500 RPM), smoother/easier wheel turning and a better feel in the brakes, good stuff all around!

Keith
07 classic silvy. 2500HD LBZ, CCSB, 4x4

Registered
Installed a new PS pump today.
The steering is actually stiffer than before the pump was swapped.
The pump is quiet. I don鈥檛 think I have air in the system鈥 but could I have air in the system?

Registered
I went through the bleed the PS system routine as if I replaced the GB.
It made the steering stiffer.
I tried to flush the PS system.
This is something I鈥檝e done a dozen times.
Once I had everything set up started the truck went through the procedure about a half dozen times without getting any fluid from the HB return fittings.
Typically I start getting fluid out of this fitting within a minute at most once the procedure is started.
I put the HB return line hose back on, took off the HB pressure hose fitting coming from the pump directing it into a quart bottle. Started the truck and got fluid. It didn鈥檛 seem to be under any great pressure either.
I am suspecting I have a bad new pump.

Registered
Last update
Installed another new ACDelco PS pump which fixed the problem.

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
Discussion Starter #16
new ACDelco PS pump
That' the way to go, new OE....or was the 1st a reman?

Registered
That' the way to go, new OE....or was the 1st a reman?
Both were new ACDelco pumps 20756713.
Along with the second pump I added a new PS pulley 19304020 and the newer PS pump pressure valve 26095470.
The pressure valve was sticky in the pump bore even after I cycled it 50 or more times. I didn't use it. It was sure to cause a problem if I did.

Registered
Any way the pictures can be re added? Or is it something on my end not letting me see them?

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
Discussion Starter #19
Might be on your end. I see two exploded drawing images.

Registered
Darn, I see no pictures. I need to replace my pump and both high pressure lines and figure I might as well add a cooler while I'm at it. Trying to research for the most cost effective parts and method of doing it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts