Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
Discussion Starter #21
Maybe use a different browser?

Premium Member
I just looked at this again in both Google and Firefox. The pics come up in both perfectly.

I did this a week or so ago and the original write up was right on for my LMM.

I did find that I could not pull the pulley until I removed the pump and I had to press it back on prior to installing the pump due to the inner radiator shield interfering. I also cut one arm brace for that inner shield, with a vibrator cutter, to give me more room to work reinstalling the bolts. Since the entire shield is cast hard plastic i do not believe I seriously weakened it to any significant degree.

I took the advice to put the center front bolt in first but I had trouble rocking the pump to get the other two bolts started though. I found that by installing the top side bolt second lined up all the rest perfectly.

ANOTHER Great How To thread by Hook. MANY THANKS!!

Registered
I'll have to try on a home computer. Thanks.

Registered
Where did you guys buy a OE AC Delco pump from? I know I can go to a dealer,but reading some reviews from ones bought from amazon they were worse then the one they replaced to begin with.Autozone stocks them to just looking for a genuine not a knock off

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
Discussion Starter #25

Registered

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
Discussion Starter #27
Look thru the Rock vendor forum, there's usually a 5% coupon code listed in there.

Registered
Look thru the Rock vendor forum, there's usually a 5% coupon code listed in there.
Awesome thanks! Your write up helped out alot,plus when I messaged you a few months ago when I rebuilt my front end and added a new gearbox your advice to add a PS steering cooler was clutch,haha.towing my travel trailer I had little to no brake fade and no burnt fluid.i replaced all hoses to gear box but #7 in diagram you posted would be the high pressure from pump to hydro correct,I may change that out just because I'll have the system open

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Premium Member
Might also check out the PSC pump brand new and heavier duty.

Registered
These pics are with an LB7/LLY/LBZ.
GM part #15909827 (about $150 at this writing)

Remove the inner fender liner on the driver's side for access. Loosen clamps on the hot side CAC pipe couplers and remove. Remove drive belt from the PS pump.

You'll need a puller to remove the pulley AND reinstall it on the new pump. Most auto parts stores will either loan or rent the puller.

There are 5 bolts holding the pump on; 3 in the front (item 5 below, 1st pic), and 2 bolts (item 9) on the back (hence the liner removal).

Remove the two low pressure return hoses (items 1&9-2nd pic). Leave the one (item 7-2nd pic) High Pressure line going to the hydro-boost attached to the PS pump, remove other end from the HB unit.

With the pump off, Remove the mount (item 4-1st pic) on the front of the pump (3 bolts, item 7-1st pic) and xfer to new pump.

When you go to install the new pump, start the threads on that one HP line, leaving it loose, and snake it thru to the HB unit as you drop the PS pump back in. (It鈥檚 almost impossible to get those threads started with the pump installed....much easier to start the threads with the pump out).

Be careful with the ends of that HP line, as it seals with an O-ring (item 3) that is not available except with a new HP line.

When you go to bolt up, you're 1st thought will be to start with the top bolt in the front (item 5) and let it hang.
Wrong, the other bolts won't line up to start the threads. Start with the middle/2nd bolt hole as a pivot point, then install the top and bottom 2nd and 3rd bolt.
Move to the rear and install those 2 smaller bolts. Tighten HP line fitting that you left loose at the pump, install/tighten end at HB unit.

Press pulley back on, hang drive belt back, fill reservoir with fluid, no bleed/priming needed.

Since you are going to have all of that pulled apart, I HIGHLY suggest you install a PS fluid cooler to the mix. <This will save so much future torment and $$s lost, prolonging life of the pump, HB, and the two HP lines that seem to chronically leak.

How To: Add Power Steering Fluid Cooler
With this ^addition, the system will work fine with off-the-shelf dino PS fluid.

Not a fan of cheap remans and certainly nothing by Cardone.
Hate doing it twice, or thrice.
OE new part is 15909827...new has no core charge....not that much $$ difference vs a Reman w/core charge.

Do you know where to get the front mount? having a hell of a time finding it

Registered
Front mount??? I'm not following you.

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
Discussion Starter #34
Dealer item?
Sorry, but my source for the pic (acquired years ago) along with the part numbers listed....dried up with a new site upgrade on the source end.
Many items are discontinued now. If they no longer offer it, might have a trip to the U-pick-it salvage yards. I see they offer the small rear bracket (no idea why that's a wear part)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts