Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As I prepare to modify my Nerf Bar mounts to make the Nerf Bars better positioned on the side of the truck I realized that the body mounts for my truck had seen better days. I decided to go ahead and replace them, and since I was in the mix I thought I would throw up a how-to on here.

I found a Prothane body mount bushing kit part number 7141 for about $100.00.

Next, remove Nerf Bars

Remove body mount bolts on one side of the truck there are three on each side of the cab along the outside of the frame, with impact gun and a 21MM socket, I found some pretty bad rust under mine. (NOTE: the GM manual says to not use an impact gun, just an FYI)

Next comes the radiator support mounts... These are secured with a bolt and nut, 15MM head on the bolt and 19MM deep socket for the nut on the bottom. I could not find a way to get into the bolt head so I removed the inner fender well on mine, learned however after it was out, if you go from the front in between the bumper and radiator mount it is much shorter timeline, but it is a bit tricky finding the bold head because you are blindly searching for it... either way works. Now that one whole side of the truck body is unbolted, you are ready to replace the mounts.

It was good that I took the inner fender out because I found a bunch of debris and mud stuck in the body panels. I used a pick, brush and shopvac to clean it out.

Next step is to raise the side of the truck so you can remove the body mounts. Ensure that you use a good stretch of wood to lif the cab up off the frame (I used about 30" sections of 2X6's). You could easily lift under the front door and replace all four mounts (three cab mounts and one radiator mount per side) at one time but I was more cautious and lifted under the rear door first and replaced the aft two mounts, then did the front two. Go easy here and do not lift up higher than you need to to get the mounts out and always remember to keep your fingers on the side of the mounts in case something happens with the jack.

Once your mounts are off, pry the old rubber off and replace with new rubber. If you have some rust like I did (it will be the front two mounts) you can sand them down and treat them with a rust converter and then paint before replacing. I really like POR15 but I didn't have time for this project and used the Rustoleum variant. I also swapped locations to put the fresh mounts with no rust up front and the newly treated ones in the back.

Now that the mounts are reassembled, reverse the process to get them in. Once you get the body back down on the mounts torque the bolts to 50 Lbs. (I think the GM books say 48 Lbs...)

Repeat the entire process for the opposite side. I noted that once I had the urethane mounts in my cab now sits about .5" taller than before. Not sure if it will settle or not. Took me about 4 hours total time but can be done much faster if you are not cleaning, painting, and removing inner fender wheel wells. After the install the truck seemed to pickup much more road noise but felt much tighter. Hope this helps someone out.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Great write up! I need to order the kit and do my truck.

·
Premium Member
10,345 Posts
Where did the kit come from.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great write up! I need to order the kit and do my truck.
Where did the kit come from.
I looked around the forum sponsors and could not find anything from them. I found a Prothane body mount bushing kit part number 7141 for $107 from THMotorsports - Discount Performance Car & Truck Parts Sale | Lowest Price | Free Shipping - Homepage. No Shipping charges!

·
Registered
993 Posts
Great write up, and thanks for all of the tip and pic's!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hey, Since this is fairly fresh, I've got a question.

While you were doing the radiator support mounts, would you think there is enough room for a 1" Body lift puck, without interfering with the IC tubes and such?

I've been considering ordering some universal 1" pucks and putting them in with the new bushings. I think when I removed my nerf bars, there was enough bolt to just use the stock ones.

Also, for anyone else looking for these. Link to ebay for 101.97 with free shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271392374606?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2661

·
Registered
516 Posts
so how does the truck feel w/ the stiffer mounts?any more noise in the cab?

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
:thumb Nice writeup!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, Since this is fairly fresh, I've got a question.

While you were doing the radiator support mounts, would you think there is enough room for a 1" Body lift puck, without interfering with the IC tubes and such?

I've been considering ordering some universal 1" pucks and putting them in with the new bushings. I think when I removed my nerf bars, there was enough bolt to just use the stock ones.

Also, for anyone else looking for these. Link to ebay for 101.97 with free shipping.
Prothane 99 06 Silverado Sierra 1500 2500 Body Cab Mount Bushing Kit 16 Piece | eBay
I would say yes for the radiator supports but no for the cab mounts. I was messing around with the cab mounts yesterday and there is no way I could fit a 1" spacer in there with the stock bolts.

so how does the truck feel w/ the stiffer mounts?any more noise in the cab?
Truck really felt better, stiffer, and the ride quality improved. I would say that the road noise picked up noticeably and that is the only downside so-far. I am getting ready to do some sound deadening projects so not a big deal but still something to remember.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Great write and thanks. My next project. I installed the new nerf bars yesterday and was appalled, that's right, APPALLED, at the rust. I'll be ordering this kit soon.

·
Registered
204 Posts
still happy with the body mounts? or are they to stiff?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
849 Posts
bump. was your truck really rough before replacing the mounts? mine rides AWFUL

i replaced just the rear mounts last year but the metal ring from the old mount was rusted inso bad i said eff it and just banged the new ones in where they really didnt fit. ended up cutting the mount partially and leaking water out

i dont see any imporvement at all so i was thinking of redoing this project with all six of the mounts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bump. was your truck really rough before replacing the mounts? mine rides AWFUL

i replaced just the rear mounts last year but the metal ring from the old mount was rusted inso bad i said eff it and just banged the new ones in where they really didnt fit. ended up cutting the mount partially and leaking water out

i dont see any imporvement at all so i was thinking of redoing this project with all six of the mounts
Not sure the details about your situation but I would shoot for shocks first... I swapped them out on my wifes 05' Avalanche and it instantly fixed the ride issues. As for the DMAX, the mounts made the ride much more stiff, I felt more of the road surface, but I like a stiff suspension.

Hope that helps...:cool:

·
Registered
204 Posts
still liking the polymounts?

·
Registered
21 Posts
What is the bottom of your cab sprayed with? It looks good.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
still liking the polymounts?
They are great! Would definitely do it again. As soon as I get some time, I will complete some sound deadening projects and clean up the road noise, but most of it is in the tires...

What is the bottom of your cab sprayed with? It looks good.
Sprayed with undercoating... I got it at the paint shop, comes in a can, hook it right up to your compressor... I am going to start a thread on here when I get some time, and I am going to do the whole underside. Especially the bed, all the nooks and crannies to prevent the rust. It is worse here in VA than it was in CA next to the ocean...

·
Registered
18,887 Posts
Colt how's everything going bud? Haven't seen you on here in a while. How's fam?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Replacing body mounts on 06 gmc crew cab .want quiet & comfort, not more road noise. Do I have to go with expensive gm or is there a quiet alternative other than poly which I understand increases road noise ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Replacing body mounts on 06 gmc crew cab .want quiet & comfort, not more road noise. Do I have to go with expensive gm or is there a quiet alternative other than poly which I understand increases road noise ?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts