Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I cant figure out how to remove the lights on the roof of the truck but i cant figure out how to take it off to replace it. I removed the screws on the middle light but it is on there TIGHT i tried to use a little force to make it come of but i dont want to pull up on it to hard and break it. Any tips on how to remove it? Maybe the gaskets or just on there really well?

Lmm Guy

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
Probably gasket stuck to the paint. Start at one point and try to peel the edge of the gasket up and work your way around the fixture to break the seal.

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
It took my LBZ almost 10 years before the OE bulbs started dropping out. And I do a lot of driving with them on (either at night, or with the fogs on in daytime cloudy weather).

So it might be your time.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
It took my LBZ almost 10 years before the OE bulbs started dropping out. And I do a lot of driving with them on (either at night, or with the fogs on in daytime cloudy weather).

So it might be your time.
Thats about how long it took these so thats a good thing.

Lmm Guy

Premium Member
What I have found that works best is to use the plastic scraper like what is used for body repairs applying Bondo.

There is just enough of an edge on the scraper to help break the gasket free from the paint without damaging the paint. However, patience is key and work very slowly around the light assembly to get it to break free.

Registered
Not sure what year truck you have but on my 08 you remove the screws and push the light toward the side of the truck to remove it. There are plastic tabs on the light that fit into slots on the roof and prying upwards will damage the roof or the light or both. It's probably that way for all model years from 08 onward. I don't remember which direction to push the light but you'll figure that out. It's really pretty simple.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure what year truck you have but on my 08 you remove the screws and push the light toward the side of the truck to remove it. There are plastic tabs on the light that fit into slots on the roof and prying upwards will damage the roof or the light or both. It's probably that way for all model years from 08 onward. I don't remember which direction to push the light but you'll figure that out. It's really pretty simple.
Thanks for the help man!

Lmm Guy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts