Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy folks. I am new to diesel trucks and working on them. I decided to give myself a crash course in diesel mechanics by doing a full DEF delete on my 2018 L5P.

Question: I am breaking a number of plastic electrical connectors trying to get them apart. I'm attaching a picture of one that is giving my a real problem. I cannot find any instructions on how these things are unlocked and pull apart.

Any insight is GREATLY appreciated.

cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Most connectors like that have a keeper lock if I'm seeing it right. May not be the exact connector, but this video shows you a locking mechanism on a connector and how it works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've poured over these youtube videos. none of them show this connector. It is quite unique compared to the rest of the connectors. The white part did pull out a bit. I tried to depress and yank apart with no joy. I feel there is some stupid GM tool that depresses into the small holes like an unlock key. I'm pretty much stalled waiting for stealership to open so I can ask their service department.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Yeah looks to me like you would slide the white clip back as far as it will go then push down on that to unlock the connector? Or does it maybe remove completely exposing the lever to unlock? Lol idk, hopefully you get it. Or just cut the wires and leave enough where they can be mated back together if need be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GM uses more than a dozen different connectors under the hood. total lunacy. I was thinking the same thing and might just replace the majority of them with a better universal connector like weatherproof anderson connectors.

anyhow, I got it to disengage by applying more pressure with a set of pliers. GM uses the cheapest plastics and garbage designs for all the connections. I replaced my stock ECM with a PPEI unit and the middle connector literally broke apart due to all the engine heat taking its toll on the plastic mechanism; they're like the poor mans zero insertion force (ZIF) sockets.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
GM uses more than a dozen different connectors under the hood. total lunacy. I was thinking the same thing and might just replace the majority of them with a better universal connector like weatherproof anderson connectors.

anyhow, I got it to disengage by applying more pressure with a set of pliers. GM uses the cheapest plastics and garbage designs for all the connections. I replaced my stock ECM with a PPEI unit and the middle connector literally broke apart due to all the engine heat taking its toll on the plastic mechanism; they're like the poor mans zero insertion force (ZIF) sockets.
I don’t have a truck at all but my GF has a turd of a Chevy Cruze with these connectors. Pull the white tab out and push the white tab on top of the gray tab down at the same time and pull. It’s annoying.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts