Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many opinions on these 2 tuners and have seen that the EFI seems to be the best bet, but from any research I have done on it looks like you have to be a computer guru to be able to make your own tunes. I have a chance to pick up an EFI with one programmed tuned in it for a fairly good price, but I am not so sure what will be involved to create other tunes. I am leaning towards the PPE for its simplicity :help

·
Dead beat seller!
1,060 Posts
efi live is not about being a computer guru just have to read and know how the motor works and you will be great i would buy one with a few tunes first and than go from there

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
now are these tunes built for your truck. efi live is not hard to use(in terms of loading tunes and checking codes....) but programming is not easy. what are future plans for your truck???? that could be your deciding factor

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not to many future plans this is my daily driver that I use for work and to pull around the holiday trailer, and perhaps to shut up some of those ricers on the odd occasions

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
do you have any plans to remove the dpf....if you plan on doing that efi live will be the way to go it will be cheaper than buying the ppe hot 2.(correct me if i am wrong guys) is the only ppe tuner that can delelte the dpf and it around a grand. its your money. IMO i would go with efi live. but there are other cheaper options out there....like quadzilla ect.....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah it will be gone in the next month or so, I am just trying to find the tuner to do the job.

·
Registered
13,927 Posts
I suggest going with a tuner that can provide you with tunes. Once you get the V2 you will want to spend some time comparing your tunes to the stock tune and see where the difference are.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
So what Im hearing is that EFI leaves more versatility for future mods you may do.EFI comes with a couple tunes,could one of those tunes be a low emmition tune to help pass state inspection (this is my biggest worrie about DPF delete)sorry for the hijack ,didnt want to start a new thread.

·
Word Up
3,517 Posts
Efi is great but if your looking for cost effective option..... I know I've bought the v2 got 2 free tunes but the extra tunes I've bought was another 400 and I still don't have as many as the ppe and spent well over the price of it. The new edge products delete dpf too and have a nice screen as well. I have plans for twins so efi was my best option to set myself up down the road. Twin tuning is another 500 so add it all up coulda bought 2 Ppe's with that money. All depends on where you want to end up in the end.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
The PPE Hot Race is a fair amount less than EFI Live, and the Edge Evo can be had for less than EFI as well, or more depending on which display you choose. Both will be easier to use than EFI Live, but EFI can offer more adjustability, expandability and refinement if you want it. Plus the Evo comes with gauges, EFI Live and PPE do not. Thats something else to take into consideration before your purchase.

Let me know if I can help!

-Jesse

1 - 11 of 11 Posts