Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am trying to break the 2 21mm bolts that hold on the brake assembly! its a [email protected]%$#@#%$# to do. does any one have any advice??? would an impact wrench do a better job for me? i broke a socket and im afraid the corners are to warn get off:( any help will be appreciated

thanks guys!
reed

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I used an impact socket with a breaker bar and cheater. I did try the impact, but it didnt get it loose....but the impact that i had access to was junk anyway.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea well i bought what i though would be a good enough socket. it turned out to be junk. split it right down the middle. oh well. i just hope i can still get it off even if it turned on the nut a little.

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
6 point impact socket and a breaker bar. I have had some that are so tight I have had to put a jack stand under the breaker bar handle and SLOWLY lower the truck till they pop loose.

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
Your impact has to be capable of 750 psi by the way,I have one and it took ALL it had!!
Oh,and impact sockets are different that regular old sockets too,if u use reg sockets they'll split every time,impact ones are hardened i beleive thay are usually black...

·
Registered
19 Posts
spray it with some pb blaster or wd40 and let it soak up for about 5 min. It should give but if its still stuborn you can always heat it up a little and then try it. Make sure to use a six point also

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Does PB blaster penetrate loctite?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
good info guys. i guess i was losing from the beginning i was using i guess a 16 pt that was regular! haha well i will deffinetly look into those ideas. i was so mad, i thought to my self 221 ft/ lbs of torque cant be that hard to break... HA i was wrong

·
Registered
102 Posts
I replaced both of mine the other week in my driveway in under 45 min. using my impact

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
6 point impact socket, breaker bar, maybe a few feet of pipe, and time.:rockin

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
I think you meant 12pt.

Impact sockets are actually softer than regualr sockets, this allows them to give when the impact delivers the blow. Not all black sockets are impact sockets.

I use an impact every time and have no issues. If the 1/2" impact doesnt break it loose, I break out the 3/4 impact.

If you guys think these bolts are hard wait till you torque a set of flywheel bolts.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
nope, i meant 6 point

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok cool, thanks guys! i should be able to do it this weekend. i have an impact at the parentals house. hopefully it will work out for me

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well guys i got it done today! i really appreciate everyones help. the impact socket did the trick. got it done in about an hour! thanks again everyone

reed

·
Registered
150 Posts
My brother, who is built like an NFL linebacker, had to lay into mine with a 4' cheater pipe on a 2' Matco breaker bar. His Matco impact gun wouldn't touch it. Lots of Loctite on it. Still made pretty quick work of it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Need to take a propane torch and "warm" the area around where the threads go into the spindle being careful not to burn the rubber boot on the caliper pin. these have yellow loctite applied to them at the factory. it usually does not take much heat to break the bolts loose.

Be sure and apply loctite when re-installing..

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
hit the head dead square with a hammer, to help knock seal on threads. 6pt 1/2 drive and a long breaker bar.

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
Your impact has to be capable of 750 psi by the way,I have one and it took ALL it had!!
Oh,and impact sockets are different that regular old sockets too,if u use reg sockets they'll split every time,impact ones are hardened i beleive thay are usually black...
Guess I should have said THAT I OWN a set of black impact sockets......and NO I said I beleived they were harder,I could really give a shit less I am just glad they work:rof:drink

1 - 20 of 21 Posts