Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm jammed up, half done with the Diamond Eye downpipe install. I downloaded the DIY by Framer1 on his install on his 05.
I have removed the exhaust, removed the transmission dipstick tube, and removed the downpipe heatshield.
I have unbolted the turbo heatshield to undo the top sleeve clamp of the downpipe, but I cannot get the turbo heatshield out. I have manuevered it every which way and cannot get it out from under the cowl. To make matters worse, my sleeve clamp is fastened with its bolt on the bottom and it is impossible to get to the bolt with the shield in the way. Is there anyone who has done an LBZ downpipe and how did you get the top sleeve clamp off?
Thanks.

·
AKA treyfox11
2,250 Posts
just did one for a bud and it was easy but the tranny was out

·
AKA treyfox11
2,250 Posts
you can bend that top sheild and get it out then bend it back to put it on

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When the new pipe is in, do you re-install the downpipe shield? It probably wouldn't fit, right?

·
like a Ninja
5,212 Posts
the DP shield wont go back on and IS NOT needed. on the new one its wrapped in a heat resistant wrap so you aint gotta worry about it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finished up the downpipe and exhaust today. Thanks for all the help. GuytonLBZ, your picture above pointed me in the right direction. Once I realized you must move the glow plug controller aside and remove its mounting bracket, things became much more do-able. Still a bear of a job, but I'm glad I did it. The difference in throttle response is noticeable right off. Again, thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts