Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys heres my story. A buddy of mine is looking at buying his first diesel truck and found an 05 DMax (build date 8/04) that he really likes. The problem that he has is that the dang thing hunts throughout the RPM range, even under light to medium throttle. It is fairly bad at idle, bad enough that a guy can see the open door move up and down as its doing it. The truck has 83K miles on it and to his or the dealers knowledge has never been poked with a programmer or chipped. Anyone have any ideas as to what he would be looking at for a cause of the hunting rpm? The truck has been serviced not to long ago, 1K miles, and pulled the stick and took a sniff. Had a hint of fuel smell, but I'm not sure what kind of oil was used in it when it was changed. Thanks for any and all help guys!

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
Sounds like maybe a bad FICM (fuel inj. Control module) or possiable causes would be inj. pump (cp3), injectors, or even ecm. A good GM dealer should be able to locate the prob, and it should be covered under the 100k engine warrenty!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sounds like a plausible cause. As for a possible other problem...not likely. EGR valves can fail due to soot and normal wear and tear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's funny after faithfully serving the community at large as a fireman for many years my husband cannot get any service in return!
I need to get this off my chest, my husband and I purchased a Chevy Silverado Duramax Diesel 2500 with the Allsion Transmission. Being a fireman for over 22 years my husband knew any truck with the Allison trans had to be great!
Problem is we have had a total of four sets of injectors replaced in this truck, the last set only lasted little over 5600 hundred miles. Feeling frustrated we went to GM at the dealers suggestion and GM's only response was "sORRY YOU'RE UNHAPPY" they feel the truck has lived up to it's potential?
Each one of the GM dealerships that have worked on this truck say there is DEFINITELY A PROBLEM, they are not quite sure what this will do or has already done to other parts of the engine.
Can't sell it, can't trade it, We are just stuck!!!
88,000 miles on a diesel, and it's of no use to us. I am afraid to take it to the corner market!
We have purchased several GM products and feel with this particular truck we feel we have been treated VERY POORLY.
All we have ever wanted was for GM to stand behind their product. Consumers these days have several options and we opted to choose GM and American Made Vehicle and we have been left high and dry, feeling alone with a faulty truck!
Lawrie Mantwell
[email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts