Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
41 - 60 of 123 Posts
Well there should be a few more people that can vouch for this kit now. Sold several in the past few days to forum members :)

Sent from my Droid using the AutoGuide app while not driving...

So I've been sitting on the fence of which kit to buy, and this thread has perked my interests. I was leaning towards MBRP 5" but your right, its all just bent tubing so it doesn't really matter who makes it. Two questions though as I'm new to all of this.

1) I'm debating between going down pipe back straight (no muffler/CAT) or just doing a CAT back system as I'm concerned about emissions. Is it worth the money to go 5" from the CAT back with or without muffler? OR would there be no performance gain and thus a waste of a few hundred dollars?

2) Will upgrading to a 5" down pipe back straight (no muffler/CAT) exhaust from stock throw any codes on an 06 LBZ CCSB?

Its a nice exhaust. Have had mine for about 3 months. Sounds great.

So I've been sitting on the fence of which kit to buy, and this thread has perked my interests. I was leaning towards MBRP 5" but your right, its all just bent tubing so it doesn't really matter who makes it. Two questions though as I'm new to all of this.

1) I'm debating between going down pipe back straight (no muffler/CAT) or just doing a CAT back system as I'm concerned about emissions. Is it worth the money to go 5" from the CAT back with or without muffler? OR would there be no performance gain and thus a waste of a few hundred dollars?

2) Will upgrading to a 5" down pipe back straight (no muffler/CAT) exhaust from stock throw any codes on an 06 LBZ CCSB?
I'm my (and most people's) opinion, cat back exhaust is a waste of money. It wont be any louder than stock and you wont get the egt reduction of a full kit. So there's not much point other than looks. Downpipe back straight pipe kits sound great and lower egts. You can keep your stock exhaust for emissions testing if you have it.

And it shouldn't throw any codes. If it does it'll be an egr code which has zero affect on performance. And it'll only happen once in a great while.

I'm my (and most people's) opinion, cat back exhaust is a waste of money. It wont be any louder than stock and you wont get the egt reduction of a full kit. So there's not much point other than looks. Downpipe back straight pipe kits sound great and lower egts. You can keep your stock exhaust for emissions testing if you have it.

And it shouldn't throw any codes. If it does it'll be an egr code which has zero affect on performance. And it'll only happen once in a great while.

Thanks for the quick response! I've been feeling the same regarding a CAT back system being a bit of a waste of money. I think I'll just go for the straight pipe setup and keep the old CAT for emissions if necessary.

Also good to know regarding the codes. So if I do get an EGR error code, would an EGR blocker plate be the solution?

Can i get a quote on a 5inch straight pipe kit and a down pipe ?

I'm my (and most people's) opinion, cat back exhaust is a waste of money. It wont be any louder than stock and you wont get the egt reduction of a full kit. ...
really?? i have a cat back with muffler and I saw 2-3oo reduction and it is louder than stock when the load is out back

Do you guys make a dual Kit 4 or 5 inch for a 2008 ccsb ltz? This is a stock truck . If I put your exhaust on what else will I have to do so no codes are sent??
We do have some options for duals. 4" pipe is all that will fit on a duramax though. As for codes you'll need tuning of some sort to block the dpf codes and keep the truck from going into limp mode. Shoot me a pm and I can go over some options with you if you'd like :)

[QUOTE

2) Will upgrading to a 5" down pipe back straight (no muffler/CAT) exhaust from stock throw any codes on an 06 LBZ CCSB?[/QUOTE]

4 inch I say ??? not all trucks are the same 5 inch yes

Thanks for the quick response! I've been feeling the same regarding a CAT back system being a bit of a waste of money. I think I'll just go for the straight pipe setup and keep the old CAT for emissions if necessary.

Also good to know regarding the codes. So if I do get an EGR error code, would an EGR blocker plate be the solution?
The code will be for insufficient egr flow so a blocker plate wont fix it. But some tuners can block that code from coming up if you decide to get a tuner down the road.

really?? i have a cat back with muffler and I saw 2-3oo reduction and it is louder than stock when the load is out back
The change in volume will be almost completely unnoticeable unless the motor is under full load. I've never "heard" a catback exhaust unless I'm within a couple feet of the end of the pipe.

As for your egt reduction, I'm not calling you a liar, but a full turbo back exhaust typically is only a 100-150*f drop in peak egts. So your 200-300*f claim must be due to other contributing factors. There typically is no drop in egts from a catback system. Or if there is its small enough that its not accurately measurable.

4 inch I say ??? not all trucks are the same 5 inch yes
I meant 4" duals is all that will fit on a duramax. 5" single will fit no problem. No exhaust company makes a 5" dual kit for the duramax. Not enough clearance to make it work.

Should have everyone's pm's sent and answered now :)

I meant 4" duals is all that will fit on a duramax. 5" single will fit no problem. No exhaust company makes a 5" dual kit for the duramax. Not enough clearance to make it work.

I meant codes some trucks will not throw with 4 inch but will with 5

I would like a price for a 4'' and a 5'' with tip for an 08. Not sure what to get yet
Just get a 5" I have a 4" and am now selling it to get a 5" haha I've heard the tone difference and me want :rolleyes:

Well if you have the muffler its got some good sound but any performance exhaust will be louder then stock

41 - 60 of 123 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.