Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone can help please read My other post dmax down. All that and then this. I started my truck up after having some real problems lately and drove it for 10 minutes or so I had to go somewhere and had no ride. To my suprise the truck was running good with a little bit of what sounded like a fuel knock. I shut the truck off at the bank to scan some codes and when i went to restart it and now when i turn the key it sounds like the starter is trying to push a brick wall all my lights dim and i get no turn over at all nothing and its not clicking but it sounds like its torquing on the motor but no turn over

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Volts are good tune is stock and has been since the first problems occurred. Could it be hydrolocked i had no smoke or nothing and i just shut it off maybe long enough for a cylinder to fill with something? That's my biggest fear

·
Registered
226 Posts
Could have hyrdolocked if an injector hung open and filled up a cylinder. Should have had massive fuel knock/noise in that case though, or smoked a lot.

I would pull as many glowplugs as I could and crank it and see if fuel comes out.

I've looked at some trucks that I was halfway convinced were hydrolocked...it would barely turn over and stopped dead a couple of times. Turned out that the starter was a melted pile of crap. :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you read my other post i was having fuel pressure problems but i believe it was a short somewhere from dining my truck. it had had no power and a terrible knock but when i started it today it was a mild knock i thought maybe i could clear up with 2 stroke or an additive which i have heard work wonders sometimes but id have to have it running for that. I have been experiencing some funny starts though it almost sounded hydrolocked but like it would force through it could my injector cups of been leaking every time i shut the trick off and that's why ive had thestrange sounding starts? And again no smoke anytime and no diesel anywhere it shouldn't be.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How hard are the glow plugs to get out I'm no dummy just completely new to the diesel world

·
Registered
5 Posts
Before pulling the glow plugs you can try turning it over with a breaker bar off of the crank. If it turns over then its probably the starter. If it doesn't and is stuck try going the other way, the starter count be engaged and locked up.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Its easier just to spin it by the alternator pulley. There is a T50 bolt in there. Just turn that. It turns real easy.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Turns easy if the glow plugs are out or should turn way either way from the alternator i don't see a belt turning it over or am i wrong?

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Are the batteries good?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Pull all 8 glow plugs and try to turn it over with the starter. If it still doesn't turn over, it's absolutely the starter. If a bunch of fuel blows out of any of the glow plug holes, it was hydro locked. If it turns over but doesn't blow any fuel out it still could be the starter. Because the glow plugs go directly into the cylinder, removing them will greatly reduce the compression, making it easier for the starter to turn over.

There are 8 glow plugs, 4 on each side of the motor. Pull both inner front fender liners to get to them. This what they look like, although only the head with the nut will be visible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts